Would it be possible to harvest seagrass from the sea to grow it in an aquarium, and if so how?

Don'tMindWhatYouCallMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I know that seagrass isn't a type of algae but is similar to one. In two days I'm going to go on holiday near a beach and I want to get some seagrass to grow; this is because I can't find any that is being sold in the UK. If I can find any, would it be possible to transport this on a four hour plane ride? Last year, I managed to find some seagrass washed up onto the shore which I believed to be Posidonia Oceanica, and I put it in a jar, however the conditions I put it in were too harsh (being in fresh, chlorinated water and later on the addition of table salt) and it died. Any help would be appreciated.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you harvested it the day you were leaving, you could place it in a zip-lok bag with a touch of water to keep it humid in the bag, it will be fine.

The question is, will they let you on the plane with it?

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Check with local jurisdiction and make sure it's legal to harvest seagrass. There may be regulations preventing this in order to protect local systems.
  2. Check to insure that it's legal to "import" seagrass back to where you live.
If both of those items are OK, bring a jar with you and collect the seagrass and some ocean water. When you are ready to leave for the airport you can probably dump most of the water out. Most suppliers of macros ship everything just damp with very little water in the bag.

OP
OP
D

Don'tMindWhatYouCallMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if you harvested it the day you were leaving, you could place it in a zip-lok bag with a touch of water to keep it humid in the bag, it will be fine.

The question is, will they let you on the plane with it?
Thank you for the response. They should let me take it because last time I took some as well and there were no issues.

OP
OP
D

Don'tMindWhatYouCallMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Check with local jurisdiction and make sure it's legal to harvest seagrass. There may be regulations preventing this in order to protect local systems.
  2. Check to insure that it's legal to "import" seagrass back to where you live.
If both of those items are OK, bring a jar with you and collect the seagrass and some ocean water. When you are ready to leave for the airport you can probably dump most of the water out. Most suppliers of macros ship everything just damp with very little water in the bag.
Thanks also for the reply. I will research the laws and do as you say.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you don't just collect the seagrass itself but also the sand/substrate it is growing in. Most species won't survive without the right species of bacteria in the soil around the rhizome.

OP
OP
D

Don'tMindWhatYouCallMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you don't just collect the seagrass itself but also the sand/substrate it is growing in. Most species won't survive without the right species of bacteria in the soil around the rhizome.
I'm already aware of this but thank you anyway.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“know that seagrass isn't a type of algae but is similar to one”

Husbandry for seagrasses is much more difficult than seaweeds (macro algae).

In that they both grow in water are they similar.

I suggest you read the referenced index from GulfCoast EcoSystems.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back