Would like to mount a fixture to a wall

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm looking for a DIY wall mount for a fixture over a 40 breeder. It's a six bulb T5 that measures 35.5"w by 15.5"d and is in the 20lb range or so. The tank sits 5.5" from the wall. It does have a wire hanging kit but I do not want to mount it to the ceiling. It's a bedroom tank so it doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Thanks for any help,
P

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I've used just cheap L brackets from meijers, or plant hangers. Worked really good and come in all different lengths.

OP
OP
F

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meijers isn't in my region. I was thinking of a couple 2x4s and a couple L or angle brackets to make up something.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always buy something similar to this:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaticlife-stand-fixture-hangers-2-pk-

Or I have built something similar from the hardware store. Just get the metal conduit pipes they sell, bend one side to go over the tank where the light will be suspended and get some clamps and screw the other end to the stand. You normally will want a conduit bender to make the bends more even. If you happen to have a regular pipe bender that would work as well. Kind of like this (except I just had one mount on each side of the tank instead of the center, and just had one 90* angle and had the light suspended from that):

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

I find it to be a good way to suspend hanging lights without having to go into the ceiling or wall.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use your ceiling mount kit but mount it to the wall. It won't want to stay horizontal so use a piece of wood molding either on top or bottom (or both) to keep it horizontal. Paint the molding the same color as the wall and it will more or less disappear.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the modular shelving you find at Home Depot or Lowes. You can screw them directly into the studs on your wall, then buy the appropriately sized brackets to hang the light from. If the studs dont line up directly where your tank is located, you then buy the bookshelf and use your ceiling mounting kit to hang it from the shelf. You can adjust the height of the brackets as well. I have my 8x80w ATI Sunpower hanging from them over my current tank, and the tank before that. Costs maybe $20 total.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Shelves-Shelf-Brackets/N-5yc1vZc89k

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got cantilevers from Home Depot and toggled them to the wall. Added shelves on top and put L brackets into studs on the top of the shelf.
e06d76e4bc6b3fd53f02e03460a77c9b.jpg

OP
OP
F

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's exactly what I'm looking for smh254.

If you could provide me links I'd greatly appreciate it.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got the cantilevers from work but I think we picked them up at Home Depot. I looked online a little bit and couldn't find anything. If you can't find anything let me know. I think we may still have some in our warehouse. I'll look tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

Firethorn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I plan to do. I have studs I can mount the main brackets to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back