Would you consider this tank stocked???

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
with the holidays over and a little bit of Christmas cash, I have been thinking about some new additions to my tank lately. I’ve never been a good judge of when to stop stocking a tank, so I thought I’d ask for some help. Do you think my tank is fully stocked or should I go ahead and get some more fish?

System:
180 gallon display, 90 gallon sump, and 65 gallon frag tank all plumbed together. Approximately 330 gals of water.

current stock:
Skeletor eel
Naso tang
Atlantic blue tang
Long nose black tang
Melanarus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Copperband butterfly
Hawk fish
Mandarin
Black widow blenny
1 firefish
Foxface lo
Aiptasia eating filefish

Any advice is appreciated!

PS, before the tang police arrest me for having a naso in a 180 gal, this 180 is not the standard. It’s 8 feet long, so plenty of room for him

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking of adding? There is always room for some wrasses, blennies, gobies, that sort of thing.

With the 3 tangs, foxface, and butterfly, I probably wouldn't personally add more large fish...although you probably could.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking of adding? There is always room for some wrasses, blennies, gobies, that sort of thing.

With the 3 tangs, foxface, and butterfly, I probably wouldn't personally add more large fish...although you probably could.

yeah, I’m thinking wrasses or some small schooling fish. I’m definitely good on large fish I think except maybe an Angel

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let others weigh in but as far as I know Naso Tangs are perhaps the most pelagic among all the genuses, not sure if an 8’ is enough. Even though the average specimen may not reach 18”, I’d still be looking at over a foot long.

I suppose you could add some smaller, bottom dwelling / less active fish, an Ocellaris pair, basslets etc. but yeah I’d say you’re about capped for large fish especially considering that the Eel also produces a lot of waste.

TBH instead of the Naso I would have gone for a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly or a Lamarck’s or similar angel, maybe a pair of a smaller species like Spotbreast, Watanabei, Bellus etc.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll let others weigh in but as far as I know Naso Tangs are perhaps the most pelagic among all the genuses, not sure if an 8’ is enough. Even though the average specimen may not reach 18”, I’d still be looking at over a foot long.

I suppose you could add some smaller, bottom dwelling / less active fish, an Ocellaris pair, basslets etc. but yeah I’d say you’re about capped for large fish especially considering that the Eel also produces a lot of waste.

TBH instead of the Naso I would have gone for a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly or a Lamarck’s or similar angel, maybe a pair of a smaller species like Spotbreast, Watanabei, Bellus etc.

thanks for your input! I actually got advice from a lot of experts on here before even considering the naso and they said 8 feet would be plenty. He seems happy and healthy and is already a foot long, so I guess I’ll see how he does long term.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! He may not grow to monstrous sizes here’s to hoping that his genes play in your favor haha. How long have you had your other Tangs and Foxface and how big are they by the way?

I’m doing a survey of sizes for larger fish for my own reference once I begin my system.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! He may not grow to monstrous sizes here’s to hoping that his genes play in your favor haha. How long have you had your other Tangs and Foxface and how big are they by the way?

I’m doing a survey of sizes for larger fish for my own reference once I begin my system.
Haha Thank you!
ive had all of them for about a year and a half except the Atlantic blue tang. I got him about a year ago. The naso is about a foot, the black tang about 10”, foxface about 8”, and the Atlantic is about 8”

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I read that list and I see your water volume and I think your good to add a bunch more fish. Only thing is your pretty maxed out on big fish. But you could add a lot of smaller fish. Anthias would be dope. You have lots of options I believe. Compatibility of course considered

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh I see I’m surprised the Black Tang’s gotten so big as I heard most Zebrasoma max out at 7-8”. Would you expect any of them to keep growing?

well I’m measuring him beak to tail, so maybe he’s a big bigger because of his long nose? Although, I’ve heard of sailfins being dinner plate size, so around a foot. I definitely expect the naso and the Atlantic blue to grow. Infact, my Atlantic blue still has juvenile colors

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I read that list and I see your water volume and I think your good to add a bunch more fish. Only thing is your pretty maxed out on big fish. But you could add a lot of smaller fish. Anthias would be dope. You have lots of options I believe. Compatibility of course considered
I love Anthias and like that suggestion, but I’ve never had luck with them. They just seem to slowly die off on me

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you have PLENTY of room for smaller fish! What about flasher or fairy wrasses? Are you opposed to clownfish? I’m partial to the maroon varieties myself.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always room for one … or few more! … BUT would agree with previous statements to steer clear of any larger fish. I love my Lyretail Anthias … maybe I've been lucky but have three females and a male … all fat and happy and contribute to a lot of beautiful action in the tank!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you have PLENTY of room for smaller fish! What about flasher or fairy wrasses? Are you opposed to clownfish? I’m partial to the maroon varieties myself.

oh whoops I forgot about my clowns haha! I have a pair of mocha storms already. A flasher or fairy wrasse is a really good suggestion though!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always room for one … or few more! … BUT would agree with previous statements to steer clear of any larger fish. I love my Lyretail Anthias … maybe I've been lucky but have three females and a male … all fat and happy and contribute to a lot of beautiful action in the tank!

I agree, I want some smaller fish I think, anthias are a great suggestion. I’ve had the same exact group as you and I didn’t have them over a year. Unfortunately I’ve read a lot of people who say they die within a year. How long have you had your group?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back