Would you get a goby?

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there guys!
I have a 30g tank and I have been thinking about getting the goby and shrimp pair. The thing is that im concerned about where will they make their "home". I mean, this is a 30g tank, so I cant have a lot of fishes (4 or 5 the most), and I fear that if I put a goby in the tank, I wont be able to see him in any momment, because he will live behind the rocks and stuff. So guys, what do you think? Is this something that should worry me? should I consider another fish? Thanks in advance :)

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there guys!
I have a 30g tank and I have been thinking about getting the goby and shrimp pair. The thing is that im concerned about where will they make their "home". I mean, this is a 30g tank, so I cant have a lot of fishes (4 or 5 the most), and I fear that if I put a goby in the tank, I wont be able to see him in any momment, because he will live behind the rocks and stuff. So guys, what do you think? Is this something that should worry me? should I consider another fish? Thanks in advance :)
In my office, I have a diamond goby and a watchman goby in a 90 gallon tank and I see them every single day for a good portion of the day. I don't have a lot of rock in that tank so that probably helps. I also have a 260 gallon tank at home with a diamond goby and I see him out and about cleaning the sand for a majority of the day.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that sat by the front glass in their burrow. They died about a year ago and I recently bought another shrimp and goby. I saw the goby once last week holding a hand mirror in the back of the tank. You won’t really know where they will settle.

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire goby who appears pretty social. He’s out most of the day. He is buddies with my clown fish. I had a pair of gobies but had to return the aggressive one to the store as he was picking on the other goby. Ive seen some (although little) research not to keep them in pairs but odd numbers.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire goby who appears pretty social. He’s out most of the day. He is buddies with my clown fish. I had a pair of gobies but had to return the aggressive one to the store as he was picking on the other goby. Ive seen some (although little) research not to keep them in pairs but odd numbers.
You're not talking about a firefish goby, right? Those are actually dartfish :3 they're my very favorite species (photo attached of Mortimer and Triss). That being said, for genuine gobies, I adore the symbiotic relationship some species have with their shrimp! 1000% recommend OP gets a goby/shrimp combo (and a firefish if you have room!)

20200909_140046.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink spot and pistol. Couldn’t imaging having a tank with out them. Fish you always don’t see is cool to me. When you do it’s speacial time.
If your rock work allows a small hole to a den then you might be ok. I would feed my goby from a coral feeder. He is my bud and comes over to see me.

I, for one, cannot imagine a tank without a goby or two and also a blennie. They are must-haves IMHO.
Couldn’t say it better.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies and pistols are a great pair. My goby is usually out front standing guard over their hole so i definitely see him every day. The pistol comes out on occasion to grab rocks and shells. They’re really fun to watch together.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you so much guys for all your answers!! I think I will be getting one. I do not know much about different types, I was thinking about getting a yasha goby, what do you guys think about it?

You're not talking about a firefish goby, right? Those are actually dartfish :3 they're my very favorite species (photo attached of Mortimer and Triss). That being said, for genuine gobies, I adore the symbiotic relationship some species have with their shrimp! 1000% recommend OP gets a goby/shrimp combo (and a firefish if you have room!)

20200909_140046.jpg
No, I meant regular gobies! Wow I tought for some reason that you couldnt put a goby and a dartfish goby together, I guess I remember it wrong!

Reef_dachs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200909_140046.jpg
Oh goodness I was! I am a newbie ☺️. I have the dart fish pictured above. He loves my clown but fought with the other fish. Love their names!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh goodness I was! I am a newbie ☺️. I have the dart fish pictured above. He loves my clown but fought with the other fish. Love their names!
Super common misconception! There's also the coral croucher gobies, which are scorpionfish like lionfish and stone fish. Those are a unique shade of adorable goons. Whoever comes up with common names should be fired XD I'm also new to the practical aspect of the hobby, but I've been enamored with firefish for the last 12 years, and they're what brought me to reefing :3 finally conned my husband into letting me have a tank of my own rather than a hoard of otherwise useless facts about tank parameters haha!

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super common misconception! There's also the coral croucher gobies, which are scorpionfish like lionfish and stone fish. Those are a unique shade of adorable goons. Whoever comes up with common names should be fired XD I'm also new to the practical aspect of the hobby, but I've been enamored with firefish for the last 12 years, and they're what brought me to reefing :3 finally conned my husband into letting me have a tank of my own rather than a hoard of otherwise useless facts about tank parameters haha!
Wow! I didnt know that goby was a scorpionfish:eek: thank you!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange stripe gobie and candy cane pistol shrimp in a 75. They hang out on the right end side of the tank. The gobie is out all the time I see the shrimp almost every day.

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp to my jbj 45 gallon! I was totally worried about where they were going to dig as well. I had put egg crate below my rock work so their digging isn't doing too much actually. My gf isn't a huge fish person, but she absolutely loves these two! I see them all the time and they are great so definitely would recommend

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there guys!

Get one of the bigger gobies like yellow watchman, randall's, orange spotted, wheelers..etc. They were visible but my small shrimp gobies like yasha would sometimes hide in the back. I know some who had Yashas they never saw until they tore the tank down. They are sometimes very shy.

Tiger pistols are also more outgoing than candycanes

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my gobies though none of them are paired with a shrimp. I have a diamond goby and a fire goby. The fire goby is a little chicken if I add anything new but it’s out most of the day otherwise.

OP
OP
LearningHow2Reef

LearningHow2Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchman is an amazing fish. They usually make themselves a home out front and always have a "get off my lawn" look on their faces. Definitely in our top 5 favorite display fish
Mmm the thing is that I have 2 clownfish (regular one and a black one), I was planning on getting a midas blenny and a pink streaked wrasse. I dont know about putting another yellow fish hmm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back