Would you keep a Mandarin?

Would you?

  • Yes

    Votes: 146 78.1%
  • No

    Votes: 41 21.9%

  • Total voters
    187
Thanks, I was curious, intricate setup
 
We have setup the experiment tank, it’s in the build thread. Prototype 1 is underway. Things are going well.
 
Got a new member today and have ordered our prototype from Octo Aquatics
 
When the fish cost more or as much as your tank i vote no lol.

If its fed all the time via auto feeder in a 10 gallon your going to have problems.

That said, a 20 is the cruelest minumum a mandarin should be in. My preference is 50 gallons or bigger, but thats preferred.
 
What school are you studying at? Sounds interesting. Will follow along.
 
Yes. I have kept a Sea Horse pair in 10 gallon with success. Kept one Mandarin in a 50 gallon cube for years with success. Sounds like a great addition to any tank. Live food is great as long as the food is well fed.
 
You mind messaging me some pictures of your 10 gallon setup and a bit more info on it and the seahorses?
 
You mind messaging me some pictures of your 10 gallon setup and a bit more info on it and the seahorses?

Was 30 years ago with 20lbs of mature live rock, a 20 watt Phillips actinic 03 lamp and a daylight for lights, Sanders air driven protein skimmer, sand, small heater, Gorgonians, Caulerpa, lot of pods everywhere and I was getting shipments of live brine shrimp every couple of weeks to supplement the natural food source in the tank. Tank wiped out due to a cracked heater after a couple of years of use.
 
Dang I’m sorry, that’s too bad. I hadn’t put too much thought into seahorses yet, hadn’t really considered there tank size.
 
Non-Provisional Patent Application Filed - We compete next week on the 26th and will (hopefully) be unveiling our product here around the same time!
 
I'm planning to add a mandarin to my next tank.
 
I would love to get a pair of mandarins one day. Once I am confident in my ability to breed pods and keep an over abundance of them. Right now I have two 2 1/2 gallon beverage dispensers growing two separate pod species and its going well. My 2 cultures have been going for about a month and a half and I have seen some exponential growth. Maybe the time to get mandarins may be sooner than I'm thinking.

On a side note check out Blue Reef Tank on YouTube. He is who inspired me to want to try my hand at a mandarin only reef tank. His videos are very well put together.

Wow. Just realized this is an old thread. Lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new