Votes: 41 21.9%

• Total voters

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin are one of the most beautiful fish in the trade, they are also one of the hardest to keep. If it was possible to keep one in an aquarium as small as a 10 gallon, would you? The fish would be well fed, comfortable, and happy. You also wouldn’t have to worry about the normally expensive cost of feeding it live pods every day.

If yes, why?
If no, why?

Thanks for the info, this is important data. I love reef2reef for this stuff.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin are one of the most beautiful fish in the trade, they are also one of the hardest to keep. If it was possible to keep one in an aquarium as small as a 10 gallon, would you? The fish would be well fed, comfortable, and happy. You also wouldn’t have to worry about the normally expensive cost of feeding it live pods every day.

If yes, why?
If no, why?

Thanks for the info, this is important data. I love reef2reef for this stuff.

I voted no because I don't believe there will be enough live rock and a large enough pod population to sustain the mandarin for long enough. I also don't believe Mandarin's fair well long term on a frozen diet (if you can manage to get one to eat it regularly). I also believe 99% of people would not keep up with either purchasing or breeding pods when life gets busy and therefore it isn't fair on the mandarin to waste away.

That is my stance anyway :)

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this is disregarding how it’s not normally feasible, the fish is well fed. For the sake of the argument there is enough copepods to sustain him indefinitely.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, this is disregarding how it’s not normally feasible, the fish is well fed. For the sake of the argument there is enough copepods to sustain him indefinitely.

I'm a realist :) This probably isn't a great survey for me to participate as I wouldn't take it that there were enough pods to sustain him.

I did skim over the last part "The fish would be well fed, comfortable, and happy. You also wouldn’t have to worry about the normally expensive cost of feeding it live pods every day" so firstly, my apologies! but my next question would be, explain how before I would answer "Yes"

I would likely answer yes if you said they were able to be sustained on frozen or pellet food and that it has little to no impact on their life span. But again, how realistic is this.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more votes the better, this data isn’t going to waste.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m not selling anything but am working on an invention that would make keeping mandarin dragonets, seahorses, and etc as easy as keeping a clownfish. I can’t really say how because I haven’t heard back from my professor yet, but I hope to patent my idea by the end of the year. I think it’s an awesome idea though.

Hexabonal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the data is going to be worth much as it won't give you an accurate picture of anything, but I'm sure loads of people would love to keep them if it were easier.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, the fish is well fed in its 10 gallon, don’t consider that in your vote please.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m not selling anything but am working on an invention that would make keeping mandarin dragonets, seahorses, and etc as easy as keeping a clownfish. I can’t really say how because I haven’t heard back from my professor yet, but I hope to patent my idea by the end of the year. I think it’s an awesome idea though.

Interesting!

This would likely change my mind, but to get an accurate vote, why mention the 10g tank? This brings up the moral question on whether it is right to keep them in a small tank.

I have read many threads on how people struggle to keep them with large tanks too. People have implored the use of dragonet feeders like the one here. But I question their effectiveness only providing brine shrimp if copepods are not available in the tank also.

Telling us more about how this product might work (without giving away your trade secrets of course) might help!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a beautiful one for about 3 month and I think my huge anemone was hungry that take care of him. I have a lot of pods on my DT that I can see when lights goes off and way more in my refugium. But bottom line is they need a lot of pods to survive and if is eating frozen food they would need pods regardless.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well basically my invention provides unlimited pods, isn’t bad aesthetically, and provides enough to keep one in a 10 gallon (I hope, this is just a small common tank, it may end up being possible in a 20)

Plunker05@gmail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really love to keep one if I could take care of it like you should. Always wanted one.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well basically my invention provides unlimited pods, isn’t bad aesthetically, and provides enough to keep one in a 10 gallon (I hope, this is just a small common tank, it may end up being possible in a 20)

Sounds very promising, especially that it is for copepods.

You'll expand your potential customer base significantly if it is possible to "expand" the product to work for multiple tank sizes. 40 breeder is a very popular size tank for new comers and the expansion of nano and AIO tanks has been significant in recent years.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I say no. 10 gallons is two small and also the mandarin will need food. Maybe if you buy copepods and feed them, I'm still have my doubts.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, the fish is PERFECTLY fed, do not vote with that concern in mind

ezell_tonya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would definitely keep one. I had one and I’m very sad. I woke up Sat and saw it had jumped out of my egg crate covered tank. [emoji24]

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely it’ll be sold in only 1 size as it only requires 1 for a mandarin. It would fit any tank. But again, it may never be developed.

wowkingjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say yes, look up Paul B on the search section (top right corner) he has a method on feeding mandarin. I just order a mandarin and will pick him up today for a 90 gal which has a lot of pods..... :rolleyes:

RafaelsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes! They already starving at the local fish store, so might as well try. I have owned 1 blue mandarin and 2 red Ruby’s. I just got the third one 3 weeks ago, and it slowly eating sf brine shrimp with spirulina after trying roe eggs and pe mysis.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back