• No

Votes: 41 21.9%

• Total voters

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend loves mandarins so I’ll be getting one for my tank in a while. I put in some pods just the other day and will load more in next week - and continue to up until we get the mandarin. By that time there should be plenty of pods and they should be multiplying. Well also be getting a separate tub/bucket to grow them so we can replenish as needed.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to make sure everyone can keep these awesome fish so that they don’t have to come home from the fish store just to starve in a week. I hope I can make a design that is not only good for them, but good for the aquarist, it’s designed so that you barely notice it. I’ve emailed the marine biologist professor here and hope to get a response soon.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i would. there are DIY feeders out there that help ppl care for them but if your "invention" some how automates that then good sir I am in. but as you know its not a cake wake to bring something to the market. look at that automated tester that was supposed to be big news and looked amazing they had quite a kick started but still ended up not being able to bring it to market.

my thoughts get it patent most ppl cant even do this step- its not cheep or easy
get some investors more the better I would say you would need 20-50K

or do like the ATS ppl are doing and make them your self no patent and sell here, ebay, amazon and the like.
or make a working prototype and sell that to a company that has the $$ and experience to bring it to market.

another thought is, it has to look some what pleasing if it big and ugly it will turn alot of ppl off just FYI.

all the best I do hope you do something with this idea!!

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did, my 3D design wouldn’t load, I’ve got to reformat. It might take a bit.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aesthetics is one of the big parts of my design, I wouldn’t want something ugly in an expensive tank all so I could have a pretty fish. Well I’m a college student and I’m thinking of putting it in a competition, the college will help me with the business, patent, and maybe even start up cash

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a lot of positive feedback, more than I thought I would, I’ll definitely try to bring my idea to market. If my professor agrees that it’s a good idea then you guys should see it on the market within a year.

Hope I’m not just wrong about this. I really think it’s a good idea but I do have concerns.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meeting the professor for a discussion about it tomorrow, I’m looking forward to it. I’ll be spending most of today getting my design perfected (as much as it can be for a rough draft).

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good. its the hobbyist that move us forward. even if they don't like it does not mean it dead in the water. build one your self use it for a while and see if the things works as you think it would. often times, as you know things on paper don't work in real life.

make the needed adjustments re build and test. once you get a working unit I would be down to be a tester for you.
cheers

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real problem is how small can I make it, I’m really hoping for it can work in a 10 gallon but it may need to be a bigger tank. Still, sustainable cheap mandarins for any small tank would be an awesome thing.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the fish was well fed ,all it wanted , with minimum work ? sure always wanted one but not in a 10 gl tank. I hope your break thru can work with tanks with more territory.
If it works, it would be a major thing & you could make some bucks !

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mandarin on a 120 gallon mixed for 6 years. Ate frozen like all other fish in my tank. I ended up breaking down the tank when I moved and sold the mandarin at that point. I would say if you are patient in the beginning and teach it to eat frozen, you are golden.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallons is more of a - the invention has the capability (hopefully) of even doing this. I'm not really in favor of keeping anything besides very small fish in a 10 gallon myself.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a few of the "no's" are getting hung up on the wrong things, to clarify
- The mandarin has as much food as he wants
- The size of the tank is relative, my invention could possibly sustain enough pods in a 10 gallon (maybe smaller, maybe not so small as a 10 gallon)
The mandarin is totally comfortable within his aquarium is my main point. I think I'll be able to do it too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no becuse I love dogs , horses and elephants and wouldn’t keep one in a studio apartment.
Lol.
My elephant is also comfortable in my studio and eats fine.

What you’re working on may be a BIG help, Esp in new tanks and as a kickstart or booster. Not only for a Mandy , but ponies and Pipes and nps. I hope it is.

I was kinda going with conscious marine aquaria.
And I’ve answered a lot of can I keep this fish in a pickle jar questions over the years.
You can.
Should you? Prob not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back