OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status update: My team and I have finished the design of the unit. Testing will begin later this month. First I have to purchase everything and cycle the tank we are going to use for the experiment. Rather than making it look all pretty this go round it will look very different from the finished model, basically just a skeleton (if prototype I works well we will likely 3D print a actual model and then test that). It may end up that prototype I fails miserably and we have to start all over, but bottom line is that I'm fairly sure we will design a product/line of products that can be used to make keeping dragonets/seahorse/pipefish easy or at the very least, it will aid in making it much easier.

We plan on using a 10 gallon aquarium (because the mandarin used will not be in the tank for long, just a couple months) so that we can safely claim "it can keep a mandarin in a 10 gallon aquarium" (not saying it's optimal to do this, but I feel many will be brought home to a 10 gallon and I want the mandarin to be as happy as possible). We will likely be using a simple HOB filter and pre used live rock (this decision was made carefully as we don't want to influence test results by having a good pod population, but we eventually figured we'd have to include biofiltration somehow) and a current usa marine orbit (I have two lighting my refugium and could spare one). My to-do-list for this weekend is to get the tank, purchase the HOB, and hopefully set up the tank this week. Looking forward to beginning trials (especially since it means that for a bit, I get to set up another tank, thats a plus).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a bit of confusion about this but my product is a one size fits all. It should work as well as in a 10 gallon as a 10,000 gallon (though you wouldn't really need to worry about feeding mandarins in a tank that large I guess ha ha ha). We are trying to make the design as aesthetic, well made, and inexpensive as possible (not for us though, for you guys and the fish, we aren't really in it for profit).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you and everyone else who is following along with the invention! We will likely get a build thread up for the mandarin experiment tank soon (just realized I'll eventually have to setup a pipefish/seahorse tank, that'll be an experience).

PEP12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 120+gallon tanks both have a mandarin in them for 2+ years, I add one small pouch of Pods once a week £3 and they are both growing and happy with no problems whatsoever, I am sure that the pods have colonized both tanks but I add more weekly to both tanks for reassurance

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would, and I do have 2 from Biota. An easy way to feed if the invention is indeed small. I wouldn't put any intrusive looking thing into my tank. After all you're trying for a piece of the reef.

jrb1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium was designed specifically with the idea of eventually having a mandarin in mind. My display is a 150gallon, and has been running for about 15 months. I'm about read to take the next step with adding the mandarin. Your way, if it can be done as specified, sounds like a great solution.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seemed counterintuitive to me to make adding a pretty fish necessitate the addition of something ugly. We are designing our product with aesthetics in mind and feel pretty confident in the design right now. I'll certainly have one in my tank.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no! It is the 10 gallon that made my decision. I kept a ruby red and a female green in a 10 gallon once. For a year. Well fed with Paul B's feeder. It was supposed to be temporary. While the two smaller ones seemed to be "happy". They moved around normally and picked at the live rock. I am pretty sure a full sized male would be cramped.

I currently have 2 pairs in separate tanks. A 65 gallon and a 140. Both pairs are fat and appear in good spirits. The pair in the 65 have been there for several years. They all use Paul's feeder and eat frozen food.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no! It is the 10 gallon that made my decision. I kept a ruby red and a female green in a 10 gallon once. For a year. Well fed with Paul B's feeder.

Well as long as you have enough water to keep their face in the water, they should be fine.
I keep my seahorse in my one ounce nano like that.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, not saying we should keep mandarins in a 10 gallon. I’ve clarified this several times. In the new build thread where our future stuff will be posted I made sure to make very clear our meaning of saying that it can make easy mandarin keeping possible in even a 10 gallon. Our device only covers feeding. Sorry that confused people originally.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquarium_01.jpg

We are also considering making our new Mandarin tank, we feel that with the large size we recommend the stocking of at least 3 tangs, 5 dragonets, 10 wrasse, and (of course) 3 lion fish. Basically our technology works with a revolutionary straw idea, you insert straws into the tank and into the fish's mouth, just make sure he gets about a drop an hour and he will be fine. This is our first scale model tank.

Last edited:

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquarium_01.jpg

We are also considering making our new Mandarin tank, we feel that with the large size we recommend the stocking of at least 3 tangs, 5 dragonets, 10 wrasse, and (of course) 3 lion fish. Basically our technology works with a revolutionary straw idea, you insert straws into the tank and into the fish's mouth, just make sure he gets about a drop an hour and he will be fine.

Wait so you want the fish to suck on the straw he will just get scared and run away.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify I am joking. It was in reference to Paul B’s seahorse, I was just taking that one step further. I thought it was a bit funny to think of fish sitting on the ground connected to a fish tank by straws and even more ridiculous, them eating cake. It sounds like what you hear the guy you don’t like at an LFS tell a person just starting out. Im not trying to offend anyone or be unpleasant or rude, I do want to clarify that it wasn’t meant that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a weird thread to get so much action, this thread has been in the top 10 for days now. We are really glad everyone is interested in our idea.

Back