10 Gallon Mandarin Experiment Tank

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with an introduction: My team is two college students (may be more students later) working from college. We have created an invention we intend to enter in a competition hosted by our college (we will post info on the competition date later). If we win the prize is $10,000 for our business. Our end goal is to not only sell our product, but also patent it (hopefully by the end of 2019).

Our team has created an invention that we hope will revolutionize the keeping of dragonets and later, seahorses and pipefish. We started an initial thread to access the market of the invention and see if there was a genuine desire for our product. We saw that a lot of people really liked our idea and we are going to start testing asap.

Our main goal is to help the mandarin population in general, it seems to us that many mandarins are needlessly killed by beginners to the hobby who buy them impulsively under advice from their LFS. We want to connect the idea of the use of our product with the idea of buying a mandarin so that mandarins have a better chance of success. At the moment we hope that the product can work at sustaining a mandarin in a 10 gallon tank (note: we do not want to discuss the size of the tank chosen other than saying that we feel that in many cases, mandarins will be kept in 10 gallon tanks, whether or not this is right for this fish is irrelevant to our product, we are trying to make it BETTER for them, we can't control every aquarist in the world).

We hope our invention can make keeping a long term mandarin as easy as keeping a clownfish for the average reefer.

This thread will be a record of our experiments with the mandarin and its relation to our invention. We will start with an assessment of whether or not our invention can work in a 10 gallon aquarium, if it fails to do so, then we will redesign and start from a 20 gallon. We will not be posting many pictures in this thread as we our keeping our invention a secret as it may have to be redesigned several times. Hopefully we can get the tank setup within the week. I'm the aquarist of the group and the one who will be taking care of the tank, so I plan on using a current USA orbit marine, a simple HOB filter, and a bit of live rock, we don't really need a powerful filter as there will be no coral and only a single mandarin in the tank.

This thread will not be used to sell our products, but rather to keep the public informed about our process. Please do not post comments regarding how you take care of mandarins here, or I will ask a moderator to have it removed as it is irrelevant to our study. We hope to keep this thread as scholarly as possible while also interacting with you, the public, as much as possible. Feel free to post any well wishes, concerns, and questions you have, we love to see that the public is interested.
Here is a link to the initial thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/would-you-keep-a-mandarin.471470/page-6#post-5226177. We look forward to hearing from you guys and to making the right product for you and the dragonets!

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to you! I do hope that this works out for you. It's good to see someone who actually takes the time to think about the welfare of such an amazing creature as a Mandarin. All of the advancements made in this hobby have been made by people like you who have a passion for the creatures that we try to keep alive in an artificial environment.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always apply for the patent and get the product protected for a year under “patent pending”

Interesting, I'm actually here in the college for prelaw, but am only a freshman. Do you mind explaining this a bit more?

Kudos to you! I do hope that this works out for you. It's good to see someone who actually takes the time to think about the welfare of such an amazing creature as a Mandarin. All of the advancements made in this hobby have been made by people like you who have a passion for the creatures that we try to keep alive in an artificial environment.

Thanks, I really appreciate it, we felt it was a fish that is really harmed by the aquarium hobby and by well meaning aquarists, we want to do our part to help people keep them.

Going shopping at Lowes to buy materials for the prototype tomorrow, not really sure what it's going to look like but its not going to look like my real model (I'm the designer, as well as a few other roles). There won't be any white PVC tubing in my final design though, thats for sure.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always apply for the patent and get the product protected for a year under “patent pending”

I highly recommend the op looks into this before posting ANYTHING about the product details online. I don't know how to get a "patent pending", but I know they exist and good ideas should be protected.

I'm watching this thread and wish you the best of luck! I'm far from being ready for one, but I love the idea of keeping a Mandarin. :)

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I'm actually here in the college for prelaw, but am only a freshman. Do you mind explaining this a bit more?

Good! I’m an engineer and I’m going back to law school to become a patent attorney. I recommend you look into patent law since it sounds like you like inventing stuff. You have to have a hard science degree to even take the patent bar... so you have to decide now in your undergrad if that the route you wanna take.

Basically patent pending protects the invention disclosed in the patent application. The danger of this is if the design changes to much... it won’t be “protected”.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the op looks into this before posting ANYTHING about the product details online. I don't know how to get a "patent pending", but I know they exist and good ideas should be protected.

I'm watching this thread and wish you the best of luck! I'm far from being ready for one, but I love the idea of keeping a Mandarin. :)

Thanks for the advice, I won't be sharing any details of the invention.

Good! I’m an engineer and I’m going back to law school to become a patent attorney. I recommend you look into patent law since it sounds like you like inventing stuff. You have to have a hard science degree to even take the patent bar... so you have to decide now in your undergrad if that the route you wanna take.

Basically patent pending protects the invention disclosed in the patent application. The danger of this is if the design changes to much... it won’t be “protected”.

Well then I will likely wait to finalize the design first, that'll take a while, plus I'm kinda moving with the college a bit too, so I'm not sure if they will want me to do certain things at certain times. I'll defiantly look into patent law then, that sounds really interesting. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the 10 gallon, lighting, and the dry rock (I don't want to take a lot of live rock from my actual tank, that could throw off the results, I'll likely throw in a tiny bit of chaeto too). I need to pick up the filter tomorrow.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are getting our prototype underway now though, we've had it custom built from a supplier on here (who I will say once we finalize the transaction).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the description before posting, it does ask "Please do not post comments regarding how you take care of mandarins here, or I will ask a moderator to have it removed as it is irrelevant to our study"

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the description before posting, it does ask "Please do not post comments regarding how you take care of mandarins here, or I will ask a moderator to have it removed as it is irrelevant to our study"
Never posted anything about how to take care of this particular fish, nor would I, as I have never had one, wanted one.

I appreciate your goal here as I agree with the philosophy of your experiment / potential invention, yet I simply gave an alternative, not advice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I didn't really specify than, on the other thread the same thing was stated. Yes, you can buy a Biota mandarin. But it does cost $80 and is often only available online, I've never heard of one at an LFS (I'm sure it exists though), but which do you think the beginner will buy, the $80 fish online or the $16 (plus the price of our invention) fish at the LFS. We think the answer is the fish at the LFS. We plan on heavily advertising (this isn't about profit for us) to try to pair the idea of keeping a mandarin with buying our invention, that way new hobbyists can go home pleased with a happy mandarin. We are working hard to keep the price of our invention low so that it (when combined with the price of the mandarin) is less than that of buying a captive bred mandarin.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back