norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Healthy Mandarin"

The company name says what it does.

Well not exactly but it gives you an idea in your head of what your goal is.

One of my favorite company names was a small local boat cleaning company called "Fast Hull".

Company name describes the reason and benefit of using them in the 1st place.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking about your product/idea.

You may not want to limit yourself to a 10 gallon tank at first. Mainly because small nano tanks can be so difficult with parameter swings and such. You’d hate to do all your testing and think your product is failing... when in reality it has nothing to do with your product. So try it on a bigger tank then once you have iterated and have near the final design... test it on smaller tanks to see how it fairs. Make sense?

Also with the patent... I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. Mainly because you’re at university. Whatever you invent there they have claim to. (I.e. why mark Zuckerberg dropped out) so really.... if this idea go gangbusters and you make millions, you’ll have more issues with the University than someone else trying to copy it.

The best this so do is invent a completely unique product and brand it so well that no matter if someone tries to copy it people think “well those are just knockoffs”. (Plus China is going to copy it anyways lol)

Getting so caught up in patents and the name of it honestly stifle the actual innovation of the product. Don’t worry about a name yet. Don’t worry about a patent. Get to the research! Go through 50 iterations of your product until it’s absolutely perfect.....

Then you’ll have the time to worry about all this other stuff!

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Healthy Mandarin"

The company name says what it does.

Well not exactly but it gives you an idea in your head of what your goal is.

One of my favorite company names was a small local boat cleaning company called "Fast Hull".

Company name describes the reason and benefit of using them in the 1st place.

Overall a good idea... only problem is it pigeon holes your company from the start. So change to something more generic. (I.e “Apple Computers” changed their name to only “Apple”)

It’d be better to have a roughly generic name for the company, then name the product the more descriptive name.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not actually a business yet, but what do you guys think of the logo I've designed?

DragonetAquaticsLogo.png

It is cool. I kind of like "Pod Whisperer" though. :)

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all great name suggestions, I do want to include Mandarins as they are my focus, but I do agree the name lacks something. Pod whisperer would make an amazing product name though, right now it’s name is “Dragonet Model III” - I think we need a more catchy name when we start to sell. I’m only trying out names now because it’s kinda fun to have a logo to put in the corner of our documents (plus I want something to put on our presentations).

I know another guy from this college (my dad went here, this was his buddy) who designed an electronic device that would cut down your changing oil on your car by a huge amount, first car companies bought it (he made millions) then oil companies bought it and took it off the market ha ha ha. The university is here to help, I really doubt they’d try to take credit from me on it. Plus I doubt this will make a ton of money (again, not in this for profit) it’s all designer around the consumer and the fish.

I do plan on heavy advertising, and I hope everyone here on R2R won’t order some china knockoff at least. I plan on primarily marketing to LFS though, that way the people selling mandarins always carry my product.

I’m using a 10 gallon mainly because I can do nanos pretty well (it’s all I’ve ever kept) and won’t have much to change parameters (no coral/other inverts and only one fish. Plus, this is all funded and run be me, I don’t have the money/space/or time to maintain a larger tank.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t for a class, I do this for fun ha ha ha (not really, I have a genuine concern). There’s a competition sponsored by the college, we don’t have a class for it, we do have a whole building for entrepreneurs though, you can make an appointment (we have one Friday) talk to them, and they will help you out (not sure how yet, again, appointment Friday).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying; this is only the first product idea. I have several others (some of which are awesome) I don’t have the skills/money to develop right now that this business will hopefully allow me to create. I’ve got way more than just feeders too. I’d really like to bring some creative innovation to our hobby.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put my hand in the mandarin tank and a massive amphipod scuttled off of my cheato, normally you don't get to see them so well. Thats one of the best parts of setting up an additional tank, getting to introduce diverse microfauna early on. When this tank is done being a prototype, I may just keep it set up and test out other stuff on it (not the pipefish or seahorse feeder, we chose 10 gallons because it seems to be what many new reefers use, we don't necessarily agree with it, we are trying to make it better though, seahorses on the other hand, are often in tanks closer to 30-55, so hopefully I can get a larger testing tank set up after all this (not in my bedroom this time).

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is cool. I kind of like "Pod Whisperer" though. :)

I like the name, but I'd go for something a bit more flashy for the fish portion of the image. The main reason folks are attracted to mandarins is their unique shapes and bright colors. Your logo should reflect that. I do like the "Pod Whisperer" name.

SaltWaterTerp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer, I am following along, and I'm super interested in what you come up with.

As a patent attorney, I cringed a bit at some posts on here. My non-legal, non-attorney-client forming opinion: definitely do not share the details of your invention publicly, or really with anyone that has not signed an NDA, until you have filed a patent application if you ever want to protect your invention via a patent. If you want to send me a PM, I can try to give you my thoughts on patents in more detail.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heater and filter for the testing aquarium got shipped to the wrong address, thankfully its my family back home, so I will pick it up/they will ship it soon. Saw some really cool microfauna in the tank today, a variety of small copepods and several strange worms prowling the rocks. I'll start testing the water once I get the heater and filter started. Can't wait to have a mandarin too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back