Would you keep this aquascape?

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am switching to an MP40 this weekend, and I would like to place it up higher in the tank. Would you keep the aquascape how it is or switch to a lower and more minimalistic style?

20201204_131721.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quite like it a lot actually, as is. I typically prefer asymmetrical scapes but this scape really works and looks great. You’re good at making tanks appear larger than they are, it’s not easy. Start a build thread so we can see your beautiful tanks! :)

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it a lot.

Those two pvc pipes or whatever they are a bit of an eye sore though.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about all aquascapes in your own tank look good after awhile when YOU'VE adapted to them. At times, I've changed mine and the new ones never seem as good as the old ones until I've decided to change them again!. Also, PVC pipes and broken bottles and jars are perfectly natural if you're trying to replicate the bottom of our bay! Think about it...where do you think the sculpins and eels and sea anemones hang out?

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I quite like it a lot actually, as is. I typically prefer asymmetrical scapes but this scape really works and looks great. You’re good at making tanks appear larger than they are, it’s not easy. Start a build thread so we can see your beautiful tanks! :)
I have been thinking about putting together a build thread for awhile now, but just haven't had the time to pull the trigger. Work, grad school, and remodeling my house are the three main things eating up my time right now. I will get around to it though!

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like it a lot.

Those two pvc pipes or whatever they are a bit of an eye sore though.
I might try removing those pieces of PVC if I stick with this aquascape. I wasn't sure how visible they would be when I was putting the tank together. This is what the "rock" structure started as.

Excuse the disaster around the tank. I was building it at my dad's house while we were moving. He was also remodeling his place.
20191208_102128.jpg

20191222_170634.jpg

20191222_170641.jpg

20191222_170719.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the original scape looks a bit crowded in the middle of the tank compared to the large spaces on either side of relative emptyness. I like the newer one better.

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the original scape looks a bit crowded in the middle of the tank compared to the large spaces on either side of relative emptyness. I like the newer one better.
These pictures are the same scape. This was about a year ago. It has just grown with coral and a few pieces of rock. The back left of the tank has a Pocillipora colony about the size of a soccer ball. And the right side is a huge Montipora cap colony. If I get rid of this scape I'd probably go with two or three smaller structures to allow growth. I'm up in the air about it.

My goal was to allow tons of flow all around the structure so there were no dead spots. I also wanted plenty of swimming space for the fish as it's only a 40 breeder. However, most of my fish dart in and out of the rock, and you can only catch glimpses of them.

My clown pair have a 4" PVC pipe coated in rubble with about 18 anemones around/in it. So it is very hard to observe them for any length of time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, you gained a lot of height with those corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back