Would you purchase a fish from Petco.com?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have been interested in a Yasha Goby, and noticed that Petco.com has one at a decent price. I'm not real impressed with the fish from my local Petco stores, and probably wouldn't buy anything expensive or saltwater from them, but I'm wondering how Petco.com might be. Has anyone ordered fish through Petco.com? Do you think they might be a little higher quality than the local stores?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/yasha-goby

Thanks for your help!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had pretty good luck with fish from Petco. Like with any other store online or otherwise I would highly encourage you to quarantine any new fish but I wouldn’t discount Petco.com

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

I do plan to QT for sure.

Maybe I'll give them a try after all.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have been interested in a Yasha Goby, and noticed that Petco.com has one at a decent price. I'm not real impressed with the fish from my local Petco stores, and probably wouldn't buy anything expensive or saltwater from them, but I'm wondering how Petco.com might be. Has anyone ordered fish through Petco.com? Do you think they might be a little higher quality than the local stores?

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/yasha-goby

Thanks for your help!
I have purchased a yasha from petco (phoenix, AZ area). I did so in person, not online.
he has done great. super healthy. paired instantly with my pistol shrimp.

Like anything else, look at the fish and decide if it looks healthy. I would not assume that because it is from a 'big box' store that there is anything inherently wrong or worse.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a yasha from petco (phoenix, AZ area). he has done great. super healthy. paired instantly with my pistol shrimp.

Like anything else, look at the fish and decide if it looks healthy. I would not assume that because it is from a 'big box' store that there is anything inherently wrong or worse.
Thank you for your reply! Good to hear about your experience. I was considering ordering my fish from Petco.com, so I can't really observe him first. Thanks again!

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! Good to hear about your experience. I was considering ordering my fish from Petco.com, so I can't really observe him first. Thanks again!
And just for clarity, I am lucky to have 5+ good saltwater reef specialty stores nearby too.
But petco (at least here) has had some good things. Not always super economical but when there is a sale, it is.
Purple fire fish. Long nose hawkish, triggers. Even maxima clams. All depends on the local steward of the fish program. They will even order things for you if they can.
Just my experience.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just for clarity, I am lucky to have 5+ good saltwater reef specialty stores nearby too.
But petco (at least here) has had some good things. Not always super economical but when there is a sale, it is.
Purple fire fish. Long nose hawkish, triggers. Even maxima clams. All depends on the local steward of the fish program. They will even order things for you if they can.
Just my experience.
It definitely depends on the store and the people working at the stores. I'm not trying to hate, but I have about 3 PetCo's in my area and on a typical day all three will have dirty tanks with dead fish, and an employee just kind of standing around. I've never seen a Trigger or clam at any of my local PetCo's. I'm more open to trying PetCo.com as I think there will be less hands involved, so to speak.

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Things to look for:

1. Algae growing out the overflows. No way the fish are healthy.
2. Look for dead/dying fish in the tanks.
3. Ask how long they've had the fish in the store.
4. Any obvious signs of flashing, scratching, uronema etc.

I once asked a store employee about a Flame Angel they had, and he pulled me aside and leaned over and said "Look man, if you want this fish... you should get it right now. It just came in, and hasn't been in our water long. By tomorrow it's gonna be dead."

No matter what you do, definitely QT anything from PetCo

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things to look for:

1. Algae growing out the overflows. No way the fish are healthy.
2. Look for dead/dying fish in the tanks.
3. Ask how long they've had the fish in the store.
4. Any obvious signs of flashing, scratching, uronema etc.

I once asked a store employee about a Flame Angel they had, and he pulled me aside and leaned over and said "Look man, if you want this fish... you should get it right now. It just came in, and hasn't been in our water long. By tomorrow it's gonna be dead."

No matter what you do, definitely QT anything from PetCo
Thank you very much for your reply. Great advice for sure. But I was specifically asking about ordering a fish from Petco.com, not buying one from my local store, so I would be unable to observed it before hand. But great advise otherwise, thank you for your help.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first pair of Maroon Clowns for $30 there. I quarantine everything. It's irresponsible to not quarantine.
Agreed on the QT. To be clear, did you order your fish from Petco.com, or purchase them from a local PetCo store?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two damsels delivered from Petco. No issues. Had them two years until my filter clogged and low flow apparently lowered oxygen and they met their demise. Not sure if but one from the local shop without knowing who takes care of them and their filtration system. I’m pretty sure their online supplier more legit but I’d still QT although I didn’t practice what I preach.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two damsels delivered from Petco. No issues. Had them two years until my filter clogged and low flow apparently lowered oxygen and they met their demise. Not sure if but one from the local shop without knowing who takes care of them and their filtration system. I’m pretty sure their online supplier more legit but I’d still QT although I didn’t practice what I preach.
Thank you, glad to hear that your PetCo.com order went well!

I have a one spot foxface I bought from a local petco. A lot of reefers here have fish that were in rough shape they nursed back to health from local petcos
Thank you for your reply. But again, I am specifically asking about ordering fish from PetCo.com, and not buying fish from my local PetCo store.

EDIT: No matter what I get and where I get it from, I do plan to QT.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, glad to hear that your PetCo.com order went well!

Thank you for your reply. But again, I am specifically asking about ordering fish from PetCo.com, and not buying fish from my local PetCo store.

EDIT: No matter what I get and where I get it from, I do plan to QT.
Do petco.com purchases deliver directly to your door? Thought you had to pick them up from a local store after making the order and they'd hold them in their system.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do petco.com purchases deliver directly to your door? Thought you had to pick them up from a local store after making the order and they'd hold them in their system.
This is the animal I'm interested in:

It's available for "ship to me". @TangerineSpeedo mentioned they all ship from Quality Marine, but I've never heard of them.

I've had some bad luck with freshwater fish from my local PetCo, and I've seen dirty tanks with dead fish in the stores around me. But I'm really not trying to hate on them. I might, maybe, get some freshwater fish from my local PetCo, but I don't see myself getting anything saltwater or expensive or delicate. That's just my opinion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back