Ryan's Reef - 112-gallon SPS Tank

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! Time to get this party started. I'm currently building out an SPS dominant Innovative Marine 112 EXT Lagoon.

I won't bore you all with a description of how I got into the hobby and spin ye a yarn of my journey... instead I'll do my best to show as many pics and videos as I can of the process. Hopefully years later everything will still be running and we can all go back and learn more from the experience.

Feel free to pick apart my planning. Be harsh, be honest, let me know what I'm doing wrong so I can make this tank awesome.

My current tank is this IM Lagoon 25. We moved a lot for work and had to downgrade, but the itch for acros never died:
tank 03.png

tank 04.jpg

tank 05.jpg

My first tank was a 75 gallon tank way back in 2009. I got it the entire set-up: lights, skimmer, sump, stand, rock etc. (minus coral and fish) for $500 off Craigslist. The guy had only intended to sell the lights for $500, but his wife had listed the entire tank and he cut me a MAJOR break and let me have it for the $500.

tank75.jpg

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the current IM Lagoon 25, I feel I learned quite a bit that I hope will translate to the larger system, namely:

1. Acros love T5's
2. Kalkwasser is awesome
3. Lots of fish = good growth

So I plan to keep those as guidelines for this tank.

The new tank was ordered from Innovative Marine about 6 weeks ago and is due to arrive in the middle of January 2023. In the meantime, I've been building out the tank and plumbing in Autodesk Maya, a program I use for work.

My intention is to use a Fiji Cube 30 for my sump. Instead of having it flush against the back wall of the stand like most tanks, I want to have it perpendicular. To me this seems like a better use of the 35.4" x 35.4" space. It'll be easier to access at least.

I plan to use a piece of black PVC board to split the space under the stand. This will allow for a clean install of a DIY controller board (not necessary but it looks nice), and hopefully help keep wires/plugs more tidy. It'll also help make a distinct area for reactors and storage on the opposite side of the sump.

Here's a mock up of the overall system design so far. Everything is as close to scale as I've been able to achieve. Please let me know what you think!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Time to get this party started. I'm currently building out an SPS dominant Innovative Marine 112 EXT Lagoon.

I won't bore you all with a description of how I got into the hobby and spin ye a yarn of my journey... instead I'll do my best to show as many pics and videos as I can of the process. Hopefully years later everything will still be running and we can all go back and learn more from the experience.

Feel free to pick apart my planning. Be harsh, be honest, let me know what I'm doing wrong so I can make this tank awesome.

My current tank is this IM Lagoon 25. We moved a lot for work and had to downgrade, but the itch for acros never died:
tank 03.png

tank 04.jpg

tank 05.jpg

My first tank was a 75 gallon tank way back in 2009. I got it the entire set-up: lights, skimmer, sump, stand, rock etc. (minus coral and fish) for $500 off Craigslist. The guy had only intended to sell the lights for $500, but his wife had listed the entire tank and he cut me a MAJOR break and let me have it for the $500.

tank75.jpg
Love the way your tank looks!!

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
haha how fast does your alk + calcium drain with all them colonys
haha pretty fast! Based off how potent I calculated my dose to be, my tank consumes between 2 - 2.5 dkH a day. It gets close to 3 dKH a day when the weather's nice and the windows are open (due to higher pH). I continuously dose kalkwasser from a still reservoir and have Brightwell's Alkalin8.3 to make up what the kalk can't maintain.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back