Ryan's Reef - 112-gallon SPS Tank

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s partly why I’m posting closeups and such. I wish I’d had more detailed pictures to go off of as well. Maybe these posts will help somebody in the future.

Hopefully the LEDs come out okay. I’m fine wiring single color LEDs, but I’m not quite sure if RGB LEDs, 4x reed switches, and a WLED control board will all work off one power supply.
Thanks I appreciate it. I talked to a couple stand design companies but felt they were way too conservative on their designs.

After your video post of the wleds I looked into them a bit. It’s a pretty cool system. I’m going to play around with them too at some point. The Reed switches won’t draw any extra power, but could add some resistance to the circuit which will affect your power input that’s needed. I wouldn’t think by much. I’ll be curious how you incorporate the Reed switches into your wiring. Are you going to have separate led strips go off each switch or will any switch trigger all the leds?

I’m also curious if it’s possible to connect the controller, in your case apex, to the wled programming to make it change colors depending on certain circumstances. For instance make them turn red is a parameter like temp goes out of range.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some updates on the weekend progress. Got in some 4x8' 10mm white extruded pvc foam sheeting from signworld.com. Cut a new base, the center partition and the upper cladding. Also cut some of the plumbing, just dry fit for now so disregard it being crooked and all.

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm at a crossroads for what to do next. The plan has been to build a controller board in the right front section of the partition. I really like the look of back lit controller boards, but they sure eat up a lot of valuable space. Not to mention the more you hide your cables from view, the harder it is to take things out for inevitable maintenance.

Here's a couple mock up pics of where the controller board might go:

tank01.png

tank03.png

tank02.png

It could work for sure, but space does start to get tight. It's a tight balance between what looks nice, and what's practical. I want to be sure I can still get equipment out for cleaning, replace ph probes etc. And haha those cables got to go somewhere...

The reason for building the partition is to give me something to mount things to, or to build shelving from.

This video really inspired the idea behind a controller board:

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I appreciate it. I talked to a couple stand design companies but felt they were way too conservative on their designs.

After your video post of the wleds I looked into them a bit. It’s a pretty cool system. I’m going to play around with them too at some point. The Reed switches won’t draw any extra power, but could add some resistance to the circuit which will affect your power input that’s needed. I wouldn’t think by much. I’ll be curious how you incorporate the Reed switches into your wiring. Are you going to have separate led strips go off each switch or will any switch trigger all the leds?

I’m also curious if it’s possible to connect the controller, in your case apex, to the wled programming to make it change colors depending on certain circumstances. For instance make them turn red is a parameter like temp goes out of range.
I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I'm planning on using 4 reed switches. So each door would turn on a different set of LEDs. I'd like to do that without using 4 power supplies/outlets, but not sure if that's doable.

I've been pondering the apex control possibilities as well. I don't think apex could directly control anything but the basic on/off functionality through a breakout box. BUT wled is controllable through smart home devices like Alexa, as is the apex I believe? So perhaps there's a connection point there. Honestly it would probably just be easier to buy some red leds and program them to turn on if there's ever an apex alarm.

On my current tank, I have reed switches that turn on the lights if the doors are opened, and apex overrides them and turns on the lights even if the doors are closed whenever there's an alarm.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure at the moment. I'm planning on using 4 reed switches. So each door would turn on a different set of LEDs. I'd like to do that without using 4 power supplies/outlets, but not sure if that's doable.

I've been pondering the apex control possibilities as well. I don't think apex could directly control anything but the basic on/off functionality through a breakout box. BUT wled is controllable through smart home devices like Alexa, as is the apex I believe? So perhaps there's a connection point there. Honestly it would probably just be easier to buy some red leds and program them to turn on if there's ever an apex alarm.

On my current tank, I have reed switches that turn on the lights if the doors are opened, and apex overrides them and turns on the lights even if the doors are closed whenever there's an alarm.
You can run everything off one power supply. Easiest way is to use a multi pin wago connector and run your power to it and then all your circuits off that. I think I’m another build video from the guy you linked to previously details it. Probably the easiest way to integrate a warning light is to run a separate led strip and power supply off a switched outlet on the apex to turn on whenever there’s an issue and to just program wled to have it be red or flashing or whatever.
I was more curious if you or anybody knew of a way to get input in from the tank controller to the ESP32 board so that you could have something like a looping light feed showing all your parameters. I’m sure it can be done and probably well above my knowledge level of this stuff.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some updates!

I decided against putting the center partition under the stand...

Although it would've been cool to have a wall to build shelves off of, and to have a controller board in the front right side of the stand, in the end I feel it would have gotten frustrating having to constantly work around it. And it also made the stand seem small and overly compartmentalized.

So out went the partition. Instead I put a sheet of black PVC on the back wall of the stand. This will be where I'll mount my electronics/controllers and such. Hopefully the black will help it blend in. Still need to cut some holes for wiring and plumbing.

Installed some LEDs inside the stand.
IMG-0850.jpg

And starting building out my alarm board. The plan is to have a sheet of plexiglass under the tank, that will be edge lit with an LED strip. If my Apex sends out an alarm the LED strip will turn on, illuminating the plexiglass. I think this will be a nice subtle way to get my attention.

IMG-0861.JPG

This piece will house the LED strip and go behind the tank.
LED.JPG

IMG-0866.JPG

IMG-0873.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-0865.JPG
    IMG-0865.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates? I finally had a little time to work on mine haha. Figured I'd check and see if you have yours filled yet
I’ve actually spent the at 2 weekends plumbing. I made a mistake weekend 1, reordered some fittings and got it nailed down yesterday. I’m now debating leak testing it, buuuut my wife just got home haha so I’m debating the risk vs. the reward.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve actually spent the at 2 weekends plumbing. I made a mistake weekend 1, reordered some fittings and got it nailed down yesterday. I’m now debating leak testing it, buuuut my wife just got home haha so I’m debating the risk vs. the reward.
Oh yeah best to keep the panic and swearing to the time when she isn't home. There's always that one bulkhead thats just not quite tightened haha. Can't wait to see what you've put together

Moronta12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah best to keep the panic and swearing to the time when she isn't home. There's always that one bulkhead thats just not quite tightened haha. Can't wait to see what you've put together
hahaha... I just fill my IM112 about a month ago... No leak test and Pummmm... Like always, 1 E-Drain bulkhead was needing a little touch. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

A few notes about this tank:
1- Glass Cage look awesome. The clear glass the seals everything is High Quality.
2- The APS scares me a little bit... I was even thinking in make my own, at the end I use the APS (witch is like to lite-weak for me) but it is holding perfectly.
3- Scape this Cube-Type is the best... Lot of room and 3 big side panels gives the chance to be creative.
4- Lighting this is not so easy if you build in a budget Like I did. Covering the 36x36 is not easy. I have to Radions G6 Blue and had to ad 2 LED bars to reduce some shadows.
IMG_5802.JPG

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hahaha... I just fill my IM112 about a month ago... No leak test and Pummmm... Like always, 1 E-Drain bulkhead was needing a little touch. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

A few notes about this tank:
1- Glass Cage look awesome. The clear glass the seals everything is High Quality.
2- The APS scares me a little bit... I was even thinking in make my own, at the end I use the APS (witch is like to lite-weak for me) but it is holding perfectly.
3- Scape this Cube-Type is the best... Lot of room and 3 big side panels gives the chance to be creative.
4- Lighting this is not so easy if you build in a budget Like I did. Covering the 36x36 is not easy. I have to Radions G6 Blue and had to ad 2 LED bars to reduce some shadows.
IMG_5802.JPG
Looks awesome! I like your light mount. Very clean looking. I ended up using a single g6 radion over mine. I’m keeping lower light corals so PAR isn’t an issue. The spread is surprisingly consistent with the single fixture.

Moronta12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! I like your light mount. Very clean looking. I ended up using a single g6 radion over mine. I’m keeping lower light corals so PAR isn’t an issue. The spread is surprisingly consistent with the single fixture.
this is my first time using Radions, and I have to say that now I understand why the price... this things have and awesome spread and lot of power.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is my first time using Radions, and I have to say that now I understand why the price... this things have and awesome spread and lot of power.
I agree completely, especially with the spread from the g6. I originally planned on using my t5 hybrid over the 112 build but the single xr30 lights it up so well I decided to just stick with the single light. I mounted it in a pendant lamp and ran the power cable to the ceiling so no visible wires over the tank.

Attachments

• 9FD81B0D-3039-4F9C-BC75-DD462C8832B8.jpeg
    9FD81B0D-3039-4F9C-BC75-DD462C8832B8.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 67

Moronta12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely, especially with the spread from the g6. I originally planned on using my t5 hybrid over the 112 build but the single xr30 lights it up so well I decided to just stick with the single light. I mounted it in a pendant lamp and ran the power cable to the ceiling so no visible wires over the tank.
Maaaan!!! What a beauty!!! Can't wait to see that tank in 1 year or 2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back