Ryan's Reef - 112-gallon SPS Tank

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep! I love the dimensions of this tank! Can't wait to get it up and running! Do you have a build thread going?
I do:
I'm focusing more on shrooms, zoas, and gonis so I'll be getting the SPS fix from looking at your thread haha

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do:
I'm focusing more on shrooms, zoas, and gonis so I'll be getting the SPS fix from looking at your thread haha
Awesome!

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something I've been debating back and forth is how I want to orient the sump. I love dimesions of the tank and stand, but it does open pandora's box a bit as to how best to use the space. There's just "so much room for activities!"

Conventionally you'd just plop the rectangular sump in your rectangular stand and call it a day. But with this being a cube, having the sump pushed all the way back feels off to me. Mainly because I'd have to open the side doors, or lean/reach through the front to work in the sump. And when and if I want to add any reactors and other equipment it'll be even harder to reach in from the front. This placement also leaves me little room for a shwanky controller board, shelving, dosers etc. However it does make plumbing the sump to the tank very simple.

This is what the sump looks like placed in the back:
IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like having the sump pulled forward. I went back and forth on placement for a while. It does complicate the plumbing a bit but it was worth it to have an unobstructed view of the sump

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My plan is to instead orient the sump perpendicular to the back of the stand, pushed to one side, and put up a partition cutting the space under the stand in 2. This will make plumbing more complicated... But it'll give me very easy access to the sump, and help me compartmentalize the space. Having a partition up would also give me something to build shelves off of, mount controllers and doser to etc.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG

Here's a mock up with the partition/shelves/controller board etc:
tank01.png

tank02.png

Last edited:

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's going to be awesome. I thought about running the sump perpendicular but I couldn't work out a way to have the UV sterilizer not be in the way of everything.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's going to be awesome. I thought about running the sump perpendicular but I couldn't work out a way to have the UV sterilizer not be in the way of everything.
That's a good point for sure. I haven't entirely decided whether I want to install a UV... If I did, I wonder if it would fit somewhere in the back behind the tank

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a good point for sure. I haven't entirely decided whether I want to install a UV... If I did, I wonder if it would fit somewhere in the back behind the tank
That's true. It would probably be easier to plumb the sterilizer off a manifold but I like to put the full return flow through it. You might be able to incorporate a unit vertically behind the tank

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to instead orient the sump perpendicular to the back of the stand, pushed to one side, and put up a partition cutting the space under the stand in 2. This will make plumbing more complicated... But it'll give me very easy access to the sump, and help me compartmentalize the space. Having a partition up would also give me something to build shelves off of, mount controllers and doser to etc.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
Here's a mock up with the partition/shelves/controller board etc:
tank01.png

I’m planning on running my sump just like you, perpendicular to the back. I’ll have a full side panel that comes off to make maintenance easy on it.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On my current tank, I installed some magnetic reed switches. This let's me have LED's automatically turn on when the doors are opened and back off when closed. Connecting those reed switches to an Avast Marine breakout box allows the Apex to program the lights to turn on or off under certain conditions.

So I have them programed to turn on anytime there's an issue. For instance, if the temp is too hot/cold, alk or ph is too low etc, the lights in the cabiniet will turn on. It's a great indicator when you're sitting on the couch watching TV and suddenly the tank stand lights up!

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

Amazon Reed Switches

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On this tank I want to do something similar. This go round though I'm going to try using programable full color LED's instead of just white ones. I'm not entirely sure how the wiring will work but hopefully it's doable.

I'm also planning to use a WLED board to program the lights to do some interesting things as well.

This is the aluminum track I plan to mount the LED's to:
IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Amazon - LED Track
Amazon - LEDs
Amazon - WLED Control Board

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you have any mock ups of that? I'd love to see how the removable side panel works.
I have a rendering in my build thread of what the stand with doors is going to look like but nothing in detail on what I’m going to do. Basically I’m going to have z clips on the bottom of the door that will slide over a block on the bottom to hold the bottom and then plan on using the magnetic child locks on top to hold the top in place.

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling back through all your pictures I saw the ones of your stand, wish I had those a couple months ago when I was designing my stand. I definitely am overkill on what I built compared to yours.

Your plumbing is coming along nicely, seems like you’ll have some water in it soon. I like the idea of the led lights underneath your planing. I’ll have to look into that when I get mine built.

OP
OP
Ryans Reef

Ryans Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scrolling back through all your pictures I saw the ones of your stand, wish I had those a couple months ago when I was designing my stand. I definitely am overkill on what I built compared to yours.

Your plumbing is coming along nicely, seems like you’ll have some water in it soon. I like the idea of the led lights underneath your planing. I’ll have to look into that when I get mine built.
That’s partly why I’m posting closeups and such. I wish I’d had more detailed pictures to go off of as well. Maybe these posts will help somebody in the future.

Hopefully the LEDs come out okay. I’m fine wiring single color LEDs, but I’m not quite sure if RGB LEDs, 4x reed switches, and a WLED control board will all work off one power supply.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back