Would you risk it?

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to a LFS for a few things. While I was there, I had a look at their frags. I couldn't help but see a Aiptasia problem in their tank and one of the employees told me to "pay no attention to the bubble algae" while he was treating the tank. I instantly decided that I was using them for dry goods only from now on. My question is would you risk buying livestock from a place like this?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to a LFS for a few things. While I was there, I had a look at their frags. I couldn't help but see a Aiptasia problem in their tank and one of the employees told me to "pay no attention to the bubble algae" while he was treating the tank. I instantly decided that I was using them for dry goods only from now on. My question is would you risk buying livestock from a place like this?
Think you answered you own question, ask them if they know reef2reef community or maybe place the name here so we can avoid...

Upvote 0

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if its hard no for me. I bought a frag from my local store that was covered in bubble algae. I did a peroxide dip and removed all the bubble algae. No bubble algae in my tank

Aiptasia I am not too concerned about because I think you are bound to get it in the hobby. I don't mind using aiptasia x when I see one pop up.

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. I have experienced many cases of either one while ordering from some of the most respected vendors on R2R. I dont consider it a big deal. I QT everything though and for quite some time have managed to prevent either one from entering my main system.

If i see pests like redbugs/aefw/nudis then I stay away.

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but I also have a coral quarantine in place that every coral I buy goes in there for a minimum 2 week observation to ensure pests are caught/treated/removed.
What if your new to this, do not have quarantine tank, what would you do then, i

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yah sure. I mean I go to big frag swaps and corals LOOK clean (because they clean them before they bring them to the swap) only for bubble algae, bryopsis or aiptasia to grow off the plugs in the QT tank.

Can't really expect to keep this stuff out without some sort of protocol of swapping plugs minimum but QT even better.

I found acro eating flatworms on big name sponsors here in a dip. Bryopsis growing off another sponsor here.

A lot of them get wild and aquacultured stuff. It happens and I don't really blame them. They do what they can.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah sure. I mean I go to big frag swaps and corals LOOK clean (because they clean them before they bring them to the swap) only for bubble algae, bryopsis or aiptasia to grow off the plugs in the QT tank.
The story of my tanks! I've bought multiple frags from individuals with great looking tanks...only to have them sprout pests weeks -- and even months -- after the fact. One particularly attractive clump of blue clove polyps came with a virulent grape caulerpa trojan horse that overwhelmed the build in which I put it. Fortunately, that build was a pest jar, and vibrant and a starvation plan finally put the end to that. :)

Upvote 0

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a frag you really really want, then for sure, because you like it. If it's just an impulse buy, then no way. Obviously there's products to kill GBA and aptasia.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank at the lfs has a bad aptasia, bubble, etc issue then I usually won't buy anything from those systems. I know it's unrealistic to not expect to see an occasional pest in a lfs so if I see it a little bit I'd still buy from there but not if it is a huge problem.

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trolling this as my aquriam is relatively new so I apologise, I had vermitaed snails, green hair algae from new coral frags, surely best way to avoid this is by treating before you send to buyers

Upvote 0

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a display tank that has these issues, or is it just the sell tanks? If their display is a mess I'd run the other way. If it's the sell tanks I can understand them slacking on cleaning because they're not meant to be pretty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a display tank that has these issues, or is it just the sell tanks? If their display is a mess I'd run the other way. If it's the sell tanks I can understand them slacking on cleaning because they're not meant to be pretty
They have a display tank, but I haven't looked at it in a while. I completely understand having a few issues, but there was a lot of aiptasia and some were large enough that they had been there a while. To me it just seems like you would want to take care of the issues that are clearly right there for everyone to see and they didn't seem to interested.

Upvote 0

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Clean looking frags does not mean free of pests!! Try to pick to best "visually clean" frags and do your dipping process .

Pest are bound to enter the tanks in a way or another. Sometime you get lucky and get utilitarian pest( Pods) and sometimes you get egg pests that you can't do anything about till it hatches.

So deal with an issue when you see one and move on!!

Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back