Would you use it?

Nairshire Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was recently gifted a box of Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic salt. My RS 250 tank is 9 months old and doing very well. I have used IO Reef Crystals since the beginning. I have zero $'s invested in the TM Syn-Biotic. Asking my fellow reefers this question......"would you even consider using the TM Syn-Biotic" knowing that everything is going well for a 9 month old reef utilizing IO Reef Crystals?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
G

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was recently gifted a box of Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic salt. My RS 250 tank is 9 months old and doing very well. I have used IO Reef Crystals since the beginning. I have zero $'s invested in the TM Syn-Biotic. Asking my fellow reefers this question......"would you even consider using the TM Syn-Biotic" knowing that everything is going well for a 9 month old reef utilizing IO Reef Crystals?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
G
Answer to your question may be here:https://reefstable.com/blog/salt-mix
Reef Crystals dKH is about 13.0, dKH of Syn-Biotic TM is around 8-9.
I think you can do partial, small water changes with your "free" TM salt, but be prepared to adjust dKH on the fly if it drops too much.
General rule is to use salt mixture with similar parameters that the one you are currently using and TM seem to be at the other end of the spectrum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back