Wow, Beautiful $8,000 Chalice from @AquaSD - Would you buy?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby really is dumb sometimes. I’m assuming it’s just a marketing ploy to get visits to the site though.

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for 8k, i'd just pay to go see stuff like that in nature and have some scratch left over for a mai-tai.

gorgeous piece. but 8k?
speaking for someone starting out in the hobby, its stuff like this that turns people away. no matter how beautiful it is.
but, there will be someone out there that'll pay it and frag it like a surgeon.

kudos to them, but, that aint me.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8k is kind of nuts, but remember back in the day when SexyCorals Dynamite was $1200 PER EYE (now multi eye frags are a few hundred bucks). There have always been "Ferrari corals" but they come down in price, or you just buy single eyes a few years down the road.

That is a big colony, and it probably is worth a few grand. I dont know about 8, it looks like it is recovering from some damage, but it is definitely a nice piece.

If you want in the rainbow chalice game, wait until your other chalices are stable and growing and hop in, in my experience they are way easier than SPS.

Also, some rich folks just want to blow some money. You'd be a fool of a sales person if you didnt give them the option ;Wacky

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant frag these up chop shop style. They will RTN. I have dealt with these wild chalice colonies in the past when I worked for a popular vendor. They are very sensitive, slow growing, and only the pieces of the chalice with multi color mouths will sell. This is not worth the gamble. It would be very tough to recover for those who think they will chop it up and recoup.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, I like the "actual color" pic better. Maybe it's my colorblindness, but the ones in the ad look like radioactive waste. Anyway, my wife's car and my house are the only two things I can think of that I've bought for more than about $2k.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there's the simple question of 1 $8000 coral or 80 $100 corals. Would anybody here really have a hard time with that one?

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could find a frag of similar looks for around $250-$300. It may just not have the ASD name.
That's just it. A coral with the ASD or any other name really jacks the price up like crazy. I understand a coral being higher priced, but that's ridiculous imo. Good luck to who buys it, but there's also nothing wrong with ASD laughing all the way to the bank either.

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had crazy cash to spend maybe? But I’m poor and realistic not for me unless I hit lotto
I would still never ever pay that much. How many times have we heard of lotto winners being broke later? Not saying you would at all, but unfortunately it happens.
did they move their store to orlando? lolol
Love it!

Rukk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I had stupid money to spend on such a thing, not sure that I would. Sometimes it just strikes me as the principle of the thing.

But in this day and age, I'm sure someone will hook 'em up with a purchase.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about now, but back in the rainbow chalice craze days, those would cost around $3k wholesale.

Therinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Greedy;Facepalmneed a better hysterically laughing emote to insert as the third one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back