WOW Hydra HD is a game changer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this quick video to see why this new light gives you even more control!

The newest innovation in the AI Hydra line, the Hydra HD Series brings more power and color where you want it, plus the freedom to use your smartphone or computer as a controller.

Check it out here

Untitled-2.jpg

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not impressed, personally. The ability to "repurpose unused power" just seems like a gimmick, to me. If an LED can be run from 0%-100%, then so be it. If there's ONLY enough available "power" to run each channel to "100%," and any unused "power" can be redirected to other channels to run them at a theoretical "100+%," then all that tells me is:

1. Aqua Illumination has a poor understanding of the concept of percentages.

2. (According to AI's logic) All channels of their new light cannot be run at their full potential at the same time.

Something tells me that neither of these are totally accurate and this is what makes me feel like this is just a gimmick by AI to try and more or less rebadge the Hydra 26 and 52.

Just my 2¢ though.

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not impressed, personally. The ability to "repurpose unused power" just seems like a gimmick, to me. If an LED can be run from 0%-100%, then so be it. If there's ONLY enough available "power" to run each channel to "100%," and any unused "power" can be redirected to other channels to run them at a theoretical "100+%," then all that tells me is:

1. Aqua Illumination has a poor understanding of the concept of percentages.

2. (According to AI's logic) All channels of their new light cannot be run at their full potential at the same time.

Something tells me that neither of these are totally accurate and this is what makes me feel like this is just a gimmick by AI to try and more or less rebadge the Hydra 26 and 52.

Just my 2¢ though.

So ya agree 100% is full power your essentially over driving the LED and you can not get more than 100% so something seems off.

Boa1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what would you call over driving my 400 watt metal halide then. I am currently driving them at 440 watts which produces the bright blue look we strive for when running a Radium Bulb. Sound like the same thing to me, alls they are doing is pushing more into each led which gives brighter colors. I think you are hung up on percentages.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what would you call over driving my 400 watt metal halide then. I am currently driving them at 440 watts which produces the bright blue look we strive for when running a Radium Bulb. Sound like the same thing to me, alls they are doing is pushing more into each led which gives brighter colors. I think you are hung up on percentages.
If you have the ability to run the LEDs at a higher power then great, like your Radiums. But I find it hard to believe that the whites can only run over 100% if the Red Channel isn't running at full power and the unused power can be redirected to the other channel. Also, if they are being overdriven, then doesn't that heavily cut the life of the diode? I would assume they're not being overdriven, rather that they're all mildly underdriven until they got over "100%."
Am I expected to believe that the power supply is so closet matched to the 0-100% usage of all the channels that it can only run some of the channels at their true maximum potential, if there's free, unused power? Why not just match the fixture with a power supply that can drive all channels to their maximum, healthy and efficient capacity?
The point is that this is a gimmick. The concept of overdriving with MH and with LEDs (based on how much each channel is using) isn't a realistic comparison.
I understand your point, but if you think about it, there's no logical reason why this concept is anything more than something to catch the eye of a naive novice. IF the light has better LEDs, a fuller, more useful spectrum, runs quieter or has various other new or improved features, then sell it with those, not this bogus concept.

Again, this is just how I see it. If you are impressed by this new concept, then by all means, I'm sure it's a solid fixture.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gimmick? Perhaps the maximum output is based on how much heat the fixture can dissipate based on the safe maximum temp the company sets for LED longevity. So running one channel lower allows for higher output in the others because of the tempurature. Sure if the fixtures had 5 fans and 10lb of heatsinks perhaps it wouldn't be an issue but most companies are trying to balance performance with good looks and reasonable size. Maybe try asking AI if you're passionate about the answer? They have great service and sometimes the answer isn't what you assume.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gimmick? Perhaps the maximum output is based on how much heat the fixture can dissipate based on the safe maximum temp the company sets for LED longevity. So running one channel lower allows for higher output in the others because of the tempurature. Sure if the fixtures had 5 fans and 10lb of heatsinks perhaps it wouldn't be an issue but most companies are trying to balance performance with good looks and reasonable size. Maybe try asking AI if you're passionate about the answer? They have great service and sometimes the answer isn't what you assume.
I'm just going by what is advertised.

The fixture is marketed to "redirect unused power" to different channels that can hypothetically run already maxed out channels at an even higher intensity. Their words, not mine. I never heard heat dissipation efficiency being discussed, just a concept that sounds similar to overdriving, based on their description, not mine. If in fact the fixture is incapable of maintaining a safe operating temperature with all channels fully maxed out (100+% on every channel, or however much they're trying to say is the most the fixture can push through their LEDs), then there is no mention of that issue and marketing temperature control as increased power output is an interesting way of making it sound appealing.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. I'm just going by the marketing and literature. We may never really be 108% sure why they decided to do this ;)

I'm also trying to figure out how the ability to run even higher than the maximum output intensity of any amount of channels is a benefit to the VAST majority of LED owners that run their lights FAR below the maximum output potential, whether you wanna call that number 100 or 105%.

Last edited:

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The built in WiFi is definitely a great feature and a great way save the customer the need to buy a controller. Does that mean that Apex controllability is now out, or does the Hydra HD also still support the AXM Apex Module, for control by either method?

Sebastian Costin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that you do not understand this concept of AI.
If one LED îs drived with 3v/1000mA = 100% of standard Power when that Led is drived at 1100mA => that îs with 10% over that standard Power setting => 110%

100% îs not The maximum Power of LED (channel) but The maximum Power of The driver that feed that channel

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that you do not understand this concept of AI.
If one LED îs drived with 3v/1000mA = 100% of standard Power when that Led is drived at 1100mA => that îs with 10% over that standard Power setting => 110%

100% îs not The maximum Power of LED (channel) but The maximum Power of The driver that feed that channel

I get overdrive and the ability to render more power on the channel but, I agree with fredro that you would want to be able to power all channels at 100% and when you overdrive a channel you essentially are killing the life of the LED. I look at it from a computer point of view you can over clock a processer but, you get more heat and less life out of the unit for doing so and sometimes there is no real benefit to doing this.

Fishphi784

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The debate in lighting is endless. But as another the poster stated, most LED fixtures aren't ran at 100%. Perhaps the blues get driven at 100%, but I wouldn't imagine overdriving them will be very helpful in terms of color if no other channel is near 100%. What I do like is the wifi; what I don't understand is why AI took so long to do it and why on earth ecotech charges $650 for the base without wifi or Bluetooth app/phone/computer compatability. What would be a game changer is if big LED companies would resolve the spotlight, shadowing, and disco ball effects. But that's just the grumpy old man in me talking...

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a gimmick? Probably so, IMO. The LED's are not being overdriven. The LED's within a channel are now capable of running at their max because if you lower power to another channel, more power is now available to use on one particular channel to run it at or close to its max watts; and overall you can utilise the extra cooling capacity of the fixture because one or more channels are running lower. The "limitation" is on the cooling and power supply. So it makes sense that if most people run the white channel at or below 60%, then there is capacity from both the power aspect and cooling capability of the fixture to run another channel a bit higher. The so called 100% is just arbitrary; but is related to the maximum cooling capacity of the fixture and the power supply. Hope that makes sense.

The WIFI ability is a great feature.

However, other than WIFI and this "HD" feature, there is nothing new to the table. Ecotech havent released any significant products either. I would rather welcome advances in light coverage and reflector design to maximise light spread so that more areas of our corals are illuminated with light; particularly the front. Most of our viewing of corals is from the front. Not from above. This is where T5 and halides still hold the trophy due to the way light is spread from both using their respective reflector designs.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one. I can say that it has had an immediately positive effect on my corals after kessil nearly wiped out my acros from browning.

The leds aren't being over driven as that would destroy them. The entire system is probably limited to 90w due to thermal reasons. This new fixture just lets you have a little more control over the mixing of the leds.

Tomorrow I'll connect my power meter and see what happenes when just a single channel is on and at "max". That should tell us what's going on here.

Also keep in mind that not all of those leds are 3w leds. Some may be more and some less. This light lets you run a 5w led up to 5w when a 1w may be running at less.

RareEarthCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also own one. Great lights and ahead of 97% of the lights out on the market today.

To also back up what Mattrg02 is saying

90 watts breaks down to
3.5 watts per LED group, stick with me here.

If 100% of channel 1 is 3 watts max for that LED group then that leaves .5 watts on the table from the power supply.

AI is allowing the user to redirect that unused power to another channel.

Channel 2 is a 5 watt LED group. So now the user can go pass the 3.5 watts per LED group allowing the user 4 watts for channel 2.

Nothing is being overdriven per se'. Only the power is redirected so nothing is lost or limited. Any additional flexibility is left from unused power or an underused channel is utilized by an LED group that has room for more power. Maximizing that channels potential.

It may sound gimmicky but its not a gimmick. It actually pretty smart and about time. No other manufacture has it so if you buy any other light the majority of your channels will always be under driven.

Last edited:

Fitz_bizZle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also own one. Great lights and ahead of 97% of the lights out on the market today.

To also back up what Mattrg02 is saying

90 watts breaks down to
3.5 watts per LED group, stick with me here.

If 100% of channel 1 is 3 watts max for that LED group then that leaves .5 watts on the table from the power supply.

AI is allowing the user to redirect that unused power to another channel.

Channel 2 is a 5 watt LED group. So now the user can go pass the 3.5 watts per LED group allowing the user 4 watts for channel 2.

Nothing is being overdriven per se'. Only the power is redirected so nothing is lost or limited. Any additional flexibility is left from unused power or an underused channel is utilized by an LED group that has room for more power. Maximizing that channels potential.

It may sound gimmicky but its not a gimmick. It actually pretty smart and about time. No other manufacture has it so if you buy any other light the majority of your channels will always be under driven.

What percentage are you guys running your colors and time / ramp / peak hours thanks. Just got a hd 26 have 60 cube mixed reef with 2x b+t5

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back