OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lightning/ nugget pair that won’t let anyone near there corner of the tank! Get ready for turf wars
I actually have a basslet in there with them that they love haha I think it depends on the fish for them haha but I would be very cautious about any additions of course :)

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also @Rakie you are a legend and a friend of mine is forever indebted to you and the melafix pond dip!! I had him come over with several infected pieces and holy **** does it kill aefw like a nuke!! :D I will be using the 6 min dip of 10ml per gallon forever now!! It's so good and the smooth-skins aren't even remotely bothered by it! No sliming or anything :)

I completely agree with this too! I also love it with how clear it is too compared with Bayer which I always had a hard time telling what all came off. I use melafix pond dip for everything :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @Rakie you are a legend and a friend of mine is forever indebted to you and the melafix pond dip!! I had him come over with several infected pieces and holy **** does it kill aefw like a nuke!! :D I will be using the 6 min dip of 10ml per gallon forever now!! It's so good and the smooth-skins aren't even remotely bothered by it! No sliming or anything :)

Yep it's literally instant, I love it. It's the only thing I've used that also kills lps/sps spiders, I had to help a vendor dip his corals for multiple infestations and melafix destroys everything that isn't an egg.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's literally instant, I love it. It's the only thing I've used that also kills lps/sps spiders, I had to help a vendor dip his corals for multiple infestations and melafix destroys everything that isn't an egg.

Going to give this a try as well!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with this too! I also love it with how clear it is too compared with Bayer which I always had a hard time telling what all came off. I use melafix pond dip for everything :)
Yep, I love that it's clear and easy to see things unlike bayer! Bayer here in Australia is also a massive pain to get a hold of! So this makes life amazingly easy, heaps cheaper than Bayer too!! I'll be dipping everything with it too :)

Everything was dead and destroyed! We were both blown away by how quickly the aefw **** themselves and died! Man that was satisfying to watch haha have you tried it on other corals as well?? Not just sps?

Going to give this a try as well!
Definitely do!! It's really surprised me and I am now a huge fan!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was dead and destroyed! We were both blown away by how quickly the aefw **** themselves and died! Man that was satisfying to watch haha have you tried it on other corals as well?? Not just sps?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only dip that exists. I use it for literally everything. Shrooms, zoas, LPS, SPS. If it goes in a tank, it goes in melafix first. The only thing I don't dip in melafix are fish, but that's literally what it's for, and you probably could.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm concerned, it's the only dip that exists. I use it for literally everything. Shrooms, zoas, LPS, SPS. If it goes in a tank, it goes in melafix first. The only thing I don't dip in melafix are fish, but that's literally what it's for, and you probably could.
Amazing!! I'll be dipping everything as well then :D This is just awesome!! No need to dip fish though haha I just feed them lol

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing!! I'll be dipping everything as well then :D This is just awesome!! No need to dip fish though haha I just feed them lol

Glad you liked it! I tell everyone to use it but it's a tough sell, something about it makes everyone think it couldn't be effective, not sure why!

And yes, it's even gentle on delicate smooth skins... Assuming you mind the clock of course :D

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you liked it! I tell everyone to use it but it's a tough sell, something about it makes everyone think it couldn't be effective, not sure why!

And yes, it's even gentle on delicate smooth skins... Assuming you mind the clock of course :D
I just can't believe it's not a thing in the hobby! It's so easy to use and deal with it! I had a dip tub and two wash tubs and there were no issues! 6mins is easy as well haha

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't believe it's not a thing in the hobby! It's so easy to use and deal with it! I had a dip tub and two wash tubs and there were no issues! 6mins is easy as well haha
Oh it's a thing with vendors, wholesalers, large scale growers.. just not with the average hobbyist!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie I've spammed all the reef groups here in Australia haha
Screenshot_20190429-094827_Facebook.jpg

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm guessing you were impressed with the results :D

I'm very glad it worked well for you dude, it's my favorite dip by miles. Never seen anything survive it except big snails and big worms. But they also get shocked immediately and will die given enough time.

And I think i mentioned -- I use it on everything. It's not unsafe for any corals that I'm aware of but haven't dipped Gorgonians, Sponges or NPS.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm guessing you were impressed with the results :D

I'm very glad it worked well for you dude, it's my favorite dip by miles. Never seen anything survive it except big snails and big worms. But they also get shocked immediately and will die given enough time.

And I think i mentioned -- I use it on everything. It's not unsafe for any corals that I'm aware of but haven't dipped Gorgonians, Sponges or NPS.
Yep, I'm just super impressed with it and it's just so dang easy to get and use!!

I'm dipping everything in it now and nothing will go in the tank without it! haha

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm just super impressed with it and it's just so dang easy to get and use!!

I'm dipping everything in it now and nothing will go in the tank without it! haha

Yep, and it's good for fish with sores/open wounds as well. So for injury or fish QT it also serves a purpose.

Otherwise the stuff is like magic for a dip. And you can kill off AEFW easily with it too. The only issue with a full tank AEFW outbreak is any encrusted bits.. They can and will survive on that stuff, gotta cut off any rock that has encrusted coral, cut off all the corals and put them on plugs/discs, and dip weekly. Twice the first week for good measure, then once a week after. Easiest way is to replace all the rockwork 'cause it's impossible to to grind off all the encrusted bits.

I thought AEFW would be unbeatable... New rockwork. Melafix, 4 weeks of dipping. Gone. Hand dipped in big plastic 10g (40 Liter) trays, 20-30 corals at a time. One dip tray, a rinse tray, then into a second rinse tray while I started the first dip.

When you have a big tank.. And the first step is "replace all the rock", it sounds horrible. But man... it's the easiest way to get things done. if anybody is about to give up due to AEFW, this would be the final suggestion they try before throwing in the towel.

I always believed in Melafix, and I'm never shy to put my money where my mouth is... But watching this succeed so easily made me a life long convert of Melafix

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and it's good for fish with sores/open wounds as well. So for injury or fish QT it also serves a purpose.

This ^

Melafix was created for bacterial fish infections, so it is indeed safe for fish. I use it as part of my fish QT process along with Pimafix.

Just used Pond Melafix on ~20 frags this weekend (mainly sps, but also pectinia, gorg and chalice) and it worked very well. There weren't many pests to begin with but anything that was there fell off within the first 2min. I didn't have a small powerhead so I just turkey basted every 30 seconds or so. Great stuff!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Otherwise the stuff is like magic for a dip. And you can kill off AEFW easily with it too. The only issue with a full tank AEFW outbreak is any encrusted bits.. They can and will survive on that stuff, gotta cut off any rock that has encrusted coral, cut off all the corals and put them on plugs/discs, and dip weekly. Twice the first week for good measure, then once a week after. Easiest way is to replace all the rockwork 'cause it's impossible to to grind off all the encrusted bits.

I thought AEFW would be unbeatable... New rockwork. Melafix, 4 weeks of dipping. Gone. Hand dipped in big plastic 10g (40 Liter) trays, 20-30 corals at a time. One dip tray, a rinse tray, then into a second rinse tray while I started the first dip.

When you have a big tank.. And the first step is "replace all the rock", it sounds horrible. But man... it's the easiest way to get things done. if anybody is about to give up due to AEFW, this would be the final suggestion they try before throwing in the towel.

I always believed in Melafix, and I'm never shy to put my money where my mouth is... But watching this succeed so easily made me a life long convert of Melafix
I've never actually used any meds for fish before lol I just tend to overfeed and everyone works out okay haha

I truly feel sorry for those that have to restart due to aefw :( Luckily my mate can dip everything without rock removal and he's glued/expoxied all the encrusted bits so he'll survive! :) Thankfully this melafix is such a winner :D

This ^

Melafix was created for bacterial fish infections, so it is indeed safe for fish. I use it as part of my fish QT process along with Pimafix.

Just used Pond Melafix on ~20 frags this weekend (mainly sps, but also pectinia, gorg and chalice) and it worked very well. There weren't many pests to begin with but anything that was there fell off within the first 2min. I didn't have a small powerhead so I just turkey basted every 30 seconds or so. Great stuff!
I've been really surprised with it and given how safe it is I'm really happy about it! Still dunno if I'll ever end up using it on fish though haha

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 77.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.0%

Back