wrasse behavior question

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple months ago I added a pair of Bellus Angels to my 180 gal, which already housed the following (in no particular order):

6 blue chromis
Powder brown tang
White tail bristletooth tang
royal gramma
diamond goby
Magnificent Foxface
melanarus wrasse
McKoskers flasher wrasse
Yellow "coris" wrasse (H. chrysus)
Exquisite wrasse
ocher striped cardinal
2 oscellaris clowns
long nosed hawkfish
2 firefish

When I added the angelfish, the McKoskers went into hiding. He comes out sporadically and seems to be getting enough to eat (not skinny) but hiding all the time. This morning my exquisite wrasse is hiding as well. The chromis used to be out and about but are hiding more as well.

There is some aggression between the Foxface and the tangs- chasing has escalated to nipping. It got worse when I added the angels even though I don't see much direct interaction between the angelfish, tangs, and foxface.

The Melanarus, McKoskers, and exquisite have all been with me for some time (the exquisite over 4 years). They lived together peacefully in my 75 gal and moved together to the 180. I have never seen a hint of aggression there, so I don't think they are fighting among themselves.

My question is, could the wrasses and chromis (particularly the wrasses) be hiding from the general level of aggression? I have never seen them directly bullied by any fish.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely possible with fairy and flasher wrasse to hide for that reason. Much bigger fish causing a lot of commotion can easily spook them. I'm guessing the Melanarus isn't spooked?

I'd just also watch carefully while you work to deal with aggression that other things don't start to appear that could indicate disease rather than aggression is responsible.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved any thoughts before I fight to get the Foxface out? I hate to pull him and the wrasses still hide...although he is big for the tank anyway.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely possible with fairy and flasher wrasse to hide for that reason. Much bigger fish causing a lot of commotion can easily spook them. I'm guessing the Melanarus isn't spooked?

I'd just also watch carefully while you work to deal with aggression that other things don't start to appear that could indicate disease rather than aggression is responsible.
I completely agree here.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Mag Fox out of the tank on Wed (writing this Friday morning). The tank is much calmer with the Fox out, the general level of aggression has come down considerably. I gave him to a friend with a 300 gal tank so he should be happier in his new home. The flasher wrasse was out and about by Wed noon and stayed out all day yesterday.

Not so much my exquisite :(. I saw him, he has a white patch on his flank that I took to be an abrasion from the rocks. But I fear infection or old age, or some combination. He was laying on the bottom in the open Wed night for a few minutes but disappeared right before feeding time. I didn't see him again until last night when I found him wedged behind a rock. He didn't eat despite my target feeding him (definitely alive though).

If he's still alive this morning I'm going to try to catch him and get him into a hospital tank with some antibiotics.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Ruby :(

This bums me out in so many ways. I got Ruby as either a female or sub male (depending who you ask). He was a gift from our LFS owner after another exquisite wrasse that I bought from the same shop died in QT. I was very new in the hobby. Knowing what I know now, I'm pretty sure I stressed that beautiful 1st exquisite to death :( . I was so sad, the LFS owner tried to cheer me up with Ruby. He was so dull and boring looking when I got him, but transitioned into the most beautiful fish in the tank.

He must have died this morning because the cleanup crew hadn't done much damage. The damage in the first photo ( far left) correlates where the white patch was. The center photo is a closer view of same. The last photo (far right) is his opposite flank. As you can see there is correlating damage to the opposite side. I did not see a white patch there while he was alive. If anyone has any insight I would very much appreciate it.

There was a crab and a shrimp in the area so it's hard to say if any/all is thanks to the CUC.

RIP Ruby .jpg RIP Ruby 2.jpg RIP Ruby 3.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Ruby :(

This bums me out in so many ways. I got Ruby as either a female or sub male (depending who you ask). He was a gift from our LFS owner after another exquisite wrasse that I bought from the same shop died in QT. I was very new in the hobby. Knowing what I know now, I'm pretty sure I stressed that beautiful 1st exquisite to death :( . I was so sad, the LFS owner tried to cheer me up with Ruby. He was so dull and boring looking when I got him, but transitioned into the most beautiful fish in the tank.

He must have died this morning because the cleanup crew hadn't done much damage. The damage in the first photo ( far left) correlates where the white patch was. The center photo is a closer view of same. The last photo (far right) is his opposite flank. As you can see there is correlating damage to the opposite side. I did not see a white patch there while he was alive. If anyone has any insight I would very much appreciate it.

There was a crab and a shrimp in the area so it's hard to say if any/all is thanks to the CUC.

RIP Ruby .jpg RIP Ruby 2.jpg RIP Ruby 3.jpg
Sorry to hear.
Probably a bacterial infection, which could have been secondary to a scrape.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back