Wrasse Compatibility; Adding Second Wrasse

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current wrasse is my favourite fish, so I would love to add a second wrasse to my tank.

For the new wrasse, I was thinking of adding something with red and/or blue coloring.

Can someone help suggest some compatible wrasse based on my current stock? Would any fairy or flasher wrasse be ok?

I have a 90 gallon (RedSea 350) tank with a small amount of coral ; mostly LPS and Zoas.

Current Stocking ...
FishQuantityCurrent SizeAdded
Snowflake Clownfish2 (m/f pair)2.5”January
Purple Fire Fish13”January
Banggai Cardinals 33“February
Royal Gramma12.5”June
Diamond Watchmen14”July
Melanurus Wrasse13.5”August
Kole Yellow Eyed Tang13”September

I am going to add a Midas Blenny (next time I find one locally) to get some yellow into my tank.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciate.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus have known to act up against other wrasse but I think you’ll be okay adding any fairy/flasher to that mix so long as you use an acclimation box. Its a crap shoot without one. Ive got 8 wrasse living happily in a 110 and couldn't have done it without the acclimation box.

OP
OP
T

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. I do have an acclimation box.

How long do you typically leave them in the box before removing the lid?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one of the smaller fairy wrasses or any flasher. One of the really nice smaller fairies is C. isoscoles (pintail fairy wrasse).

Always best to use an acclimation box when adding a wrasse to any tank already housing a wrasse. I leave mine in the acclimation box 24-72 hours depending on how it's going. With the melanurus I'd me surprised if you had any significant issues.

OP
OP
T

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one of the smaller fairy wrasses or any flasher. One of the really nice smaller fairies is C. isoscoles (pintail fairy wrasse).

Always best to use an acclimation box when adding a wrasse to any tank already housing a wrasse. I leave mine in the acclimation box 24-72 hours depending on how it's going. With the melanurus I'd me surprised if you had any significant issues.

Thanks for the info. That is a really nice looking fish. I’ll need to check with my LFS to see what they currently have access to.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my 60g I tried to add a flasher wrasse (carpenters) to my yellow coris and it was not the yellow that killed it but rather it was my 2 clowns that beat it badly and yet they leave my firefish and my 5 chromis alone. My yellow coris may have assisted in killing it but my clowns and the 2 tangs I rotate in and out as trade ins probably did more damage.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon with 2 clowns a flame angel and a six line, can I add another wrasse and what kind

Conventional wisdom says that six lines hate other wrasses, unfortunately. That will be difficult. A different option might be one of the Meiacanthus genus blennies.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put a diamond Watchman goby with three damsels one neon dottyback coral banded shrimp one Turbo snail two astraea snails one Nassarius snail

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back