Wrasse compatibility

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
Am I able to add a melanarus wrasse(female) when I already house a red head solerensis wrasse? Tank is 2' x 3 ft.
Thanks.
I would think it would be ok. But watch the aggression. I’m sure there will be some by the Solon wrasse initially. And later down the line aggression from the Melanarus. How big is your tank gallons wise? DT only

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50-60 gallons of water
Yea I think it would be fine for about a year. I saw this because the Melanarus will become a little too boisterous and big for your tank long term. For the mean time enjoy the two fish. I’m sure @i cant think can help you out as well as @SaltyT better than I can.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think it would be fine for about a year. I saw this because the Melanarus will become a little too boisterous and big for your tank long term. For the mean time enjoy the two fish. I’m sure @i cant think can help you out as well as @SaltyT better than I can.
Thank you. But if it will outgrow my tank I would rather try a different species. Don't think I will be upgrading in the near future.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. But if it will outgrow my tank I would rather try a different species. Don't think I will be upgrading in the near future.
You could try a leopard wrasse of sorts. I think he can be in there long term. You do need to watch the copepod population though so it doesn’t starve.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
Am I able to add a melanarus wrasse(female) when I already house a red head solerensis wrasse? Tank is 2' x 3 ft.
Thanks.
Short term it will work but long term the Melanurus gets 5-6 inches.
I would personally go for a smaller Halichoeres. Examples of smaller Halichoeres species include; Halichoeres biocellatus, Halichoeres timorensis, Halichoeres leucoxanthus. These guys should all max out around 4-4.5 inches and should fit in the tank long term.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go Biocellatus instead of Melanurus and also make sure to use an acclimation/observation box with a sand bin in it when introducing to reduce initial aggression for a few days and also to make sure the Solar wrasse doesn’t look like he’s going to give a beat down. Melanurus can get pretty pushy as they age, especially in smaller tanks. Just my experience. They can be aggressive to other species of fish as well if they don’t have enough room.

I keep 5 different wrasses in my 4 ft tank, but acclimation box introduction was key. They all get along fine now with very minimal aggression.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term it will work but long term the Melanurus gets 5-6 inches.
I would personally go for a smaller Halichoeres. Examples of smaller Halichoeres species include; Halichoeres biocellatus, Halichoeres timorensis, Halichoeres leucoxanthus. These guys should all max out around 4-4.5 inches and should fit in the tank long term.
Out of these 3 choices I’d recommend getting the Halichoeres leucoxanthus. They are the smallest of the three I think and a lot more peaceful. Also really pretty

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female golden rhomboid wrasse and they got along fine... But rhomboid wrasse ended up passing away. Not sure why. I also have semi aggressive female lyretail anthias.
Can we see some pictures of the tank? Make sure if you do go with any of the Halichoeres there are plenty of hiding spots and sand deep enough for them to sleep in.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see some pictures of the tank? Make sure if you do go with any of the Halichoeres there are plenty of hiding spots and sand deep enough for them to sleep in.
Screenshot_20221209-224033.png

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It actually has quite a few caves and hiding spots. I have added a small cave in the sand at the front also. The sand is deeper than it looks. Had a blue spot jawfish for 1.5 years and he had numerous tunnels dug. The rock work goes to the bottom glass.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand bed seems low for a Halichoeres. They need enough depth to ”dig” and sleep in. Maybe add some more sand in there? Very gently so you don’t disturb anything.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It actually has quite a few caves and hiding spots. I have added a small cave in the sand at the front also. The sand is deeper than it looks. Had a blue spot jawfish for 1.5 years and he had numerous tunnels dug. The rock work goes to the bottom glass.
Oh ok you can disregard my next post then lol

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that is all right now.
You could add two more fishies if you like? Of course with the right temperament. Maybe you could get the Anthias company? That would lower the aggression.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back