Wrasse Compatibly

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size?

H. claudia is the Christmas wrasse to me, but I've recently learned there are others that share the common name.

Melanurus is fairly safe with the larger shrimp. I would bet on it being fine...but a little less safe than, say, a fairy or flasher wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Christmas wrasse species will cohabitate well with melanurus. Others will be have aggressively toward a melanurus. What is the species name?

A blood shrimp may be fine or may be a potential snack.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also possible that the Melanurus will behave aggressively with other h. based species. My juvie Melanurus is fearless when it comes to other fish. He doesn't seek out fights but will definitely not be pushed around or intimidated. He put a snowflake occ in check and more recently dealt with some intimidation type behavior from my new Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel. Crazy little guy didn't care, he took them both on at the same time, it should come as no surprise that they don't bother him now and even hang out in close quarters on occasion with no issues.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read on Liveaquaria that both of these species are peaceful and should be able to coinhabitate.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read on Liveaquaria that both of these species are peaceful and should be able to coinhabitate.
The info on LA isn't gospel. I would go with the advice given.

I don’t know about the fire shrimps with the wrasses.
As stated above, it may or may not be OK. It's a risk. Likely depends on the size of the shrimp and fish and who was in the tank first.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what LA usually is referring to is peaceful with other genera. H. ornatissimus would be fine with most any other fish...just not other wrasses.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back