Wrasse, Engineer Goby & Clowns in a 75?

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 75 gal tank (40B fuge/backup tank plumbed into bottom) and I was curious on people's thoughts were on the following fish stocking in the 75 gal:

1 pair clowns (oscillaris or percula)*
1 pair green banded goby*
2 engineer gobies (def acquiring & I'm building the tank around them)
2 wrasses (Carpenters, Lubbock's or Bluethroat)

*I already have 2 pairs of clowns, I'm just trying to pick which to put in the main display tank (other pair will go in the 40B)
*I already have 2 pairs of green bands (because I love them to bits) but I have this feeling they'd get eaten in the main 75 so I was thinking one pair in my fuge and one in my little 10 gallon I've had running for a few years (it's hideous, but very well cycled :p) might be a better option

---Other Tank Info---
Other stocking:
assorted small hermits & a lot of snails (I have the 'usual' cuc, but also like 5 types of fancy snails because i'm a weirdo and I REALLY like snails)
2-4 brittle stars (large & already have them)
2 skunk cleaner shrimp (still need to purchase)
Corals (mostly duncans, leathers and shrooms because that's just what I like :p)

There will be lots of rockwork & hides once I'm done (all reinforced for the engineers)

I'm actually condensing 3 separate, smaller systems into one system for easier maintenance and figured the extra length might be good for some 'reefier' looking fish.

----Questions----
1. I've never done wrasses before and I've heard various things on the ones listed above (normally peaceful but sometimes they grow up and get evil), so I was hoping to get some opinions on some combo of the wrasses mentioned above.
I was reading through this article: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/ andhttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ but it just makes me happier to get feedback on them for the setup I was thinking about.

2. Would you change or add to the stocking list at all?
I was mostly shooting for reef safe fish with fun colors (and my fake eel fish of course) that were relatively peaceful and wouldn't harass each other. I also don't want anything that will outgrow the tank over time.

3. Theoretically speaking, do you think 4 green bands (2 established pairs) in a 40B would harass each other? I know they're not generally recommended for larger groups, but I feel like most people keep them in smaller tanks? Not married to that idea, just exploring possible options.

Thanks!!

-----------------unrelated--------------------------
Also, I'm not sure how to summon mods/admins, but I have another post that's a bit out of date (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/stocking-a-75-with-existing-clowns-green-band-gobies.815527/) with no responses that can totally get deleted, which it doesn't seem to let me do myself (I couldn't even edit it, otherwise I would have just done that) Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had these in a 50 cube without any issues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Out of curiosity, what order did you add them & roughly how old/large were the fish when you added them?
Also does that include the green bands?
Thanks!!
Clowns, wrasse the goby. Engineer was about 3” and others about 2”

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back