Wrasse, Engineer Goby & Clowns in a 75?

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 75 gal tank (40B fuge/backup tank plumbed into bottom) and I was curious on people's thoughts were on the following fish stocking in the 75 gal:

1 pair clowns (oscillaris or percula)*
1 pair green banded goby*
2 engineer gobies (def acquiring & I'm building the tank around them)
2 wrasses (Carpenters, Lubbock's or Bluethroat)

*I already have 2 pairs of clowns, I'm just trying to pick which to put in the main display tank (other pair will go in the 40B)
*I already have 2 pairs of green bands (because I love them to bits) but I have this feeling they'd get eaten in the main 75 so I was thinking one pair in my fuge and one in my little 10 gallon I've had running for a few years (it's hideous, but very well cycled :p) might be a better option

---Other Tank Info---
Other stocking:
assorted small hermits & a lot of snails (I have the 'usual' cuc, but also like 5 types of fancy snails because i'm a weirdo and I REALLY like snails)
2-4 brittle stars (large & already have them)
2 skunk cleaner shrimp (still need to purchase)
Corals (mostly duncans, leathers and shrooms because that's just what I like :p)

There will be lots of rockwork & hides once I'm done (all reinforced for the engineers)

I'm actually condensing 3 separate, smaller systems into one system for easier maintenance and figured the extra length might be good for some 'reefier' looking fish.

----Questions----
1. I've never done wrasses before and I've heard various things on the ones listed above (normally peaceful but sometimes they grow up and get evil), so I was hoping to get some opinions on some combo of the wrasses mentioned above.
I was reading through this article: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/cirrhilabrus-complexes-inferiority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.352/ andhttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/ but it just makes me happier to get feedback on them for the setup I was thinking about.

2. Would you change or add to the stocking list at all?
I was mostly shooting for reef safe fish with fun colors (and my fake eel fish of course) that were relatively peaceful and wouldn't harass each other. I also don't want anything that will outgrow the tank over time.

3. Theoretically speaking, do you think 4 green bands (2 established pairs) in a 40B would harass each other? I know they're not generally recommended for larger groups, but I feel like most people keep them in smaller tanks? Not married to that idea, just exploring possible options.

Thanks!!

-----------------unrelated--------------------------
Also, I'm not sure how to summon mods/admins, but I have another post that's a bit out of date (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/stocking-a-75-with-existing-clowns-green-band-gobies.815527/) with no responses that can totally get deleted, which it doesn't seem to let me do myself (I couldn't even edit it, otherwise I would have just done that) Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had these in a 50 cube without any issues

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Out of curiosity, what order did you add them & roughly how old/large were the fish when you added them?
Also does that include the green bands?
Thanks!!
Clowns, wrasse the goby. Engineer was about 3” and others about 2”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back