Wrasse for a frag tank

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a good wrasse to put in a frag tank besides a 6 line? I would like for it to eat nudis.

j_bones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ben! I've been researching Wrasses for my frag tank as well. At this point I'm leaning towards a Melanurus wrasse. They are suppossed to be excellent scavengers for mostly Flatworms. Not sure about Nudi's though. I did come across this though. Nudibranchs No More - Reef Central Online Community You might want to check it out. Good Luck!! Mike

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Melanurus in my 120. Beautiful fish and great personality. My only concern for a frag tank would be the pod population. Mine constantly picks at the rocks.

If you can keep him fed, he will be fine.

I

inactive

View Badges
First off.. what size frag tank? I would hate to see a Hali in a 12 gallon tank.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanarus in my 120 gal and he patrols the tank for any pests. I am going to add one to my frag tank as well to control flatworms and pyramid snails.

BIG L A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those nudi's can be real annoying... I know someone who is in a heavy battle with them right now in his frag tank... He was wondering where he got them from and now I see that you have them... How long have you been aware of this Ben?

OzoneParkGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Me....

The Wrasse are not going to completely solve the issue Ben. You will manually have to remove the Nudi's by suction with a syringe and have to do it right when the lights turn on to see them on the zoa's. There is another way also. The egg's are a pain in the *** to get off and have to be scraped off. They are found on the side of the polyp and they have a clear spiral muccus appearence with white pin heads inside. Give me a call, we need to discuss this issue.
You'll find me on MR aswell.

OP
OP
Supreme Reefs

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really my personal tank but one I'm taking care of. The tank is about 100g or so I'm guessing. Won't the melenarus need sand as well I really don't want to put any sand in there also theres some emerald crabs in there it will eat them?

I wish I could put a mystery wrasse but a little too pricey just in case it jumps out.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back