Wrasse for Frag Tank?

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this topic has been beaten to death. But I finally have my frag system up and running and want to include a wrasse for pest control.

The tank is bare bottom, the cliche answer from most people is a six line wrasse. I worry about aggression as I’ve heard they’re not friendly with tank mates. I know flasher/fairy wrasses don’t need sand, but I’m not too sure on how well they work for pest control.

This frag tank is going to be Acropora dominant with a ton of flow so I’d rather not have a container of sand in a corner.

Suggestions?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this topic has been beaten to death. But I finally have my frag system up and running and want to include a wrasse for pest control.

The tank is bare bottom, the cliche answer from most people is a six line wrasse. I worry about aggression as I’ve heard they’re not friendly with tank mates. I know flasher/fairy wrasses don’t need sand, but I’m not too sure on how well they work for pest control.

This frag tank is going to be Acropora dominant with a ton of flow so I’d rather not have a container of sand in a corner.

Suggestions?
What are the dimensions of the tank?
And are there any dead spots or areas of lower flow?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cliche answer from most people is a six line wrasse.
6 lines are custom made for this, honestly. If you want something different, its cousin the 4 line is a less commonly seen and really cool looking.
I worry about aggression as I’ve heard they’re not friendly with tank mates.
What are fish will there be, and what's the tank size?
I know flasher/fairy wrasses don’t need sand, but I’m not too sure on how well they work for pest control.
Yeah, unfortunately they eat plankton out of the water column, mostly. So no pest control there.

Certain damsels might be a good option. There is also the small peaceful possum wrasses or the pink streak.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line makes perfect sense in a frag tank. I wouldn't expect many fish in it anyway, so aggression shouldn't be a big issue? I have a six line in my 65g and have had no issues with aggression from him...my clown on the other hand, sometimes needs to go in time out LOL.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are custom made for this, honestly. If you want something different, its cousin the 4 line is a less commonly seen and really cool looking.

Yeah, unfortunately they eat plankton out of the water column, mostly. So no pest control there.

Certain damsels might be a good option. There is also the small peaceful possum wrasses or the pink streak.
The four line is a good option away from sixlines as these are more peaceful.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a very small (2.5 inch) one spot foxface, that’s the only livestock at the moment

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48x24x12 tank, the flow makes a type of circular pattern around the perimeter so the lowest flow would be dead center
I would’ve recommended a Pink Streak however they’re a bit too small for a 4’ tank.

Any specific reason as to why you don’t want a sand bed? I have my Acro tank with sand and if you get a coarser sand then it seems to not get moved around after it’s settled.

Back