Wrasse ID?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Brunneus fairy wrasse but it doesn’t look like the one in the photo .

Is it because I received a female version ? It’s a lot more red than black .

IMG_2019.png IMG_2018.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2016.mov
    6.6 MB

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Brunneus fairy wrasse but it doesn’t look like the one in the photo .

Is it because I received a female version ? It’s a lot more red than black .

IMG_2019.png IMG_2018.jpeg
The issue is few of us have actually seen a male in captivity, let alone a female. And there is little documentation of this species so we

Considering you can see the dark blue, almost black colouring coming in with the yellow belly I believe this is a transitioning brunneus. Another reason I think this is the blue on the male’s lower face is coming in and you can see hints of what will eventually be an electric blue colouration in his fins coming though.

The red markings on the head are also clearly coming through.
This is supposedly a female with more orange but you can see the blue. First pic you have is male in nuptial display

IMG_7244.jpeg
I believe this is a male that is just finishing the transitional phase, after seeing the OP’s photo I believe the females do look much more like any other fairy wrasse within that complex.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is few of us have actually seen a male in captivity, let alone a female. And there is little documentation of this species so we

Considering you can see the dark blue, almost black colouring coming in with the yellow belly I believe this is a transitioning brunneus. Another reason I think this is the blue on the male’s lower face is coming in and you can see hints of what will eventually be an electric blue colouration in his fins coming though.

The red markings on the head are also clearly coming through.

I believe this is a male that is just finishing the transitional phase, after seeing the OP’s photo I believe the females do look much more like any other fairy wrasse within that complex.
This gives me hope!! Thank you! Really appreciate the time and feedback. I really love this fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back