Wrasse ID

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this wrasse a few months ago and am still trying to ID it. At the store it was labeled as a Q wrasse but when googling it that doesn't exist. The closest I can come up with is either a rainbow wrasse or Klunzinger wrasse. Any help would be appreciated. LOL and no he's not eating my fire shrimp.
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surge wrasse, thalassoma purpureum I think .

OP
OP
J

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats it Thalassoma quinquevittatum. That explains the label as Q wrasse at the store as well. I love wrasses but they are a pain for me to tell apart.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just so you know Thalassoma wrasses will basically take out any invert in your tank and probably small fish too, they're very aggressive. the fire shrimp's days are numbered. i saw a clip recently of a person adding some damsels to a tank with a lunare wrasse (another Thalassoma) in it and the wrasse promptly grabbed a damsel, smashed it into the rock several times and bit it in half

i think liveaquaria says something in their bio about eating mantis shrimp in the wild, to give you an idea of their capabilities

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Thalassoma Wrasses get big and are fairly aggressive. So keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
J

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get on live aquaria and look up the compatibility to reef and other fish when shopping. Kind of irritated when I asked I was told that it was harmless other than to invertebrates and tried to google it but couldn't figure out the name. The silver lining is I have my old 180 gallon tank in the garage and will probably set that back up within a month or two and do a FOWLR next to the reef tank that way I can get some fish that I wanted and never could with a reef tank.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get on live aquaria and look up the compatibility to reef and other fish when shopping. Kind of irritated when I asked I was told that it was harmless other than to invertebrates and tried to google it but couldn't figure out the name. The silver lining is I have my old 180 gallon tank in the garage and will probably set that back up within a month or two and do a FOWLR next to the reef tank that way I can get some fish that I wanted and never could with a reef tank.

bummerooski man, in the future the wrasse ID thread is pretty awesome, it has saved me from similar mistakes

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/let-me-id-your-wrasse.97755/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Five stripe wrasse and not considered reef safe

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back