Wrasse in a 75 Gallon need help!

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have plans to finish setting up my 75 gallon reef tank and want to add some wrasse (1-2)

I know some wrasse can be complete stinkers, but some can be angels

I currently have a juvenile H. garnoti but I've heard they can become aggressive when they get older, mine has shown no aggression so far

I love the looks of leopard wrasses and melanurus wrasse and wanted to know if one of them could live with my neon wrasse

I am willing to return my neon if it is going to become aggresive, or if I am able to house a Leopard and melanurus instead of the neon

Thanks for the help!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @Crabby48 @i cant think

I can't comment on the garnoti (think @tbrown might have a garnoti though), but flipside, my bipartitis leopard has been very peaceful, so might not expect aggression towards your garnoti or other wrasses.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @Crabby48 @i cant think

I can't comment on the garnoti (think @tbrown might have a garnoti though), but flipside, my bipartitis leopard has been very peaceful, so might not expect aggression towards your garnoti or other wrasses.
that's a stunning fish

are they really as hard to keep as everyone says? how have you been able to successfully keep one?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have plans to finish setting up my 75 gallon reef tank and want to add some wrasse (1-2)

I currently have a juvenile H. garnoti but I've heard they can become aggressive when they get older, mine has shown no aggression so far

I love the looks of leopard wrasses and melanurus wrasse and wanted to know if one of them could live with my neon wrasse

I am willing to return my neon if it is going to become aggresive, or if I am able to house a Leopard and melanurus instead of the neon

Thanks for the help!
It’s not a particularly aggressive wrasse and if you are careful and use an acclimation box you can sometimes avoid most aggression. Leopards are great once you get them acclimated. The issue is they are very sensitive and struggle to adjust to tanks and tank lighting schedules at first. Other wrasse I suggest are the smaller flasher and fairy wrasse like the blue flasher, and the Lubbocks fairy.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a particularly aggressive wrasse and if you are careful and use an acclimation box you can sometimes avoid most aggression. Leopards are great once you get them acclimated. The issue is they are very sensitive and struggle to adjust to tanks and tank lighting schedules at first. Other wrasse I suggest are the smaller flasher and fairy wrasse like the blue flasher, and the Lubbocks fairy.
is there a type of leopard wrasse that does the best?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Thanks for the help!
I have a Garnoti, Melanurus, and Leucoxanthus in my 125 (6'). They all coexist peacefully but they're all still females (except the Melanurus has begun transitioning, just not full male yet). My Garnoti was the last one added but is the fastest growing of the 3. She's also the most social and curious of the 3 and doesn't hide when I come to the tank.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a type of leopard wrasse that does the best?
I think the issue is getting them safely into your tank and onto your light schedule. They are very hard to ship because they stress out and injure themselves. My blue star leopard is one of three that were shipped and the only one to survive. From now on I'll only be getting leopards locally, already awake and eating, and bringing them personally home. They should also be acclimated very slowly over days if they arrive at low salinity--in a tank with plenty of sand. Once they are in your tank alive and eating, they become very easy and pleasant.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back