Wrasse in QT

xyousefb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day,

I currently have a yellow wrasse and a red coris wrasse in my quarantine tank. They've been in there for 20 days.

I have never noticed any signs of disease or illness with these wrasses but I still them with cupramine. After about a week, the young yellow wrasse developed some redness around its gills and I was certain that it was from the copper. When I removed the copper, the fish went back to normal. Right now both fish are eating well and look healthy, except the red coris wrasse yawns every minute or so. There's no ammonia in the water or any copper anymore. Why is it doing that?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good day,

I currently have a yellow wrasse and a red coris wrasse in my quarantine tank. They've been in there for 20 days.

I have never noticed any signs of disease or illness with these wrasses but I still them with cupramine. After about a week, the young yellow wrasse developed some redness around its gills and I was certain that it was from the copper. When I removed the copper, the fish went back to normal. Right now both fish are eating well and look healthy, except the red coris wrasse yawns every minute or so. There's no ammonia in the water or any copper anymore. Why is it doing that?
What copper level are you dosing at and what test kit are you using to monitor copper?
Go a full 30 days of treatment and copper safe or copperPower would be a little more gentle on these type of fish. Yawning is a sign of flukes and a freshwater dip or treatment with PraziPro would be more effective as copper will not address flukes if present.
For flukes, you described some symptoms already as gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
One way to tell if Flukes are present is to give the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in a CLEAN container with water the same temperature as display tank. Fish may appear distressed after a couple of minutes. After 5 mins, return fish to display tank.
Look at bottom of container for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. If you can see some, those are flukes which are actually a hook worm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back