Wrasse spinal injury?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my new wrasse (red fin fairy) in QT has started swimming head up tail down. I am suspecting a spinal injury. I don’t know if it tried to jump and hit the cover or what. Will this heal? If not I don’t see how it could survive in my DT with any flow. He’s already working hard to swim as it is. He isn’t Having any issues eating or anything else at the moment.
@4FordFamily i think I saw an older post where you had a similar isssue. Did yours recover?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of him going after Mysis. I guess he’ll have enough spunk in the big tank. Could the small QT just be causing him to be lazy? Does this look normal or spine injury? I guess I just wasn’t paying too much attention idk.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best you can do is put him in an acclimation box and hope for the best.

Most of the time spinal injuries do not self correct, but I've seen a few exceptions. But because this is cause by internal physical damage (i.e. spinal column), there's not much you can do except hope it heals on its own.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best you can do is put him in an acclimation box and hope for the best.

Most of the time spinal injuries do not self correct, but I've seen a few exceptions. But because this is cause by internal physical damage (i.e. spinal column), there's not much you can do except hope it heals on its own.

He is in a 10G QT and the yellow is definitely submissive to him. I have a fishless running 65G I could put him in if he needs his own space. If this does not heal I’m assuming it would not be good to add him to my 150G with other fish after QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this does not heal I’m assuming it would not be good to add him to my 150G with other fish after QT?

No, the flow will just blow him all over the tank causing further damage. He needs to remain in an acclimation box until/if he ever returns to normal. You can also spot feed him more easily this way.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, must be an epidemic. I had the same issue two weeks ago, see my post on that. Moved this little guy to the refugium, he did not survive.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, must be an epidemic. I had the same issue two weeks ago, see my post on that. Moved this little guy to the refugium, he did not survive.

I get wrasses in with spinal injuries all the time. :(

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get wrasses in with spinal injuries all the time. :(

I’ll put him an acclimation box and spot feed but if he doesn’t recover what is the best course of action? Euthanize?

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By day two in the refugium, even with super low flow, he could not even control and move himself to grab food.

Mine is still moving well and eating extremely well. I have hope I just saw him flick his tail once. We will see fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say today I euthanized the fairy wrasse due to his injury. He stopped eating and had lost more function to swim.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I know they occasionally recover but I've never had one do it. Depending on the location of the injury they either seem to swim like yours did or in circles in one direction. Early on they will still eat well but will gradually weaken to the point they can't IME.

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I know they occasionally recover but I've never had one do it. Depending on the location of the injury they either seem to swim like yours did or in circles in one direction. Early on they will still eat well but will gradually weaken to the point they can't IME.

Pretty much spot on

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, I didn’t see this tag. Yes, that’s a spinal injury. I’ve had about a dozen over the years with this injury and two of them came out of it. One to jump out of the tank, imagine that.

Sorry for your loss :(

OP
OP
Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, I didn’t see this tag. Yes, that’s a spinal injury. I’ve had about a dozen over the years with this injury and two of them came out of it. One to jump out of the tank, imagine that.

Sorry for your loss :(

My 8 yr old says we have to get a McCoskers now! I had to explain to her why I had to do it and that we have to finish QT on the yellow and purple wrasse first.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back