Wrasse swimming weird??

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my little rhomboid male in yesterday and had a qt setup for him. I matched the salinity of the bag to prevent any salinity swing for the little guy. He ate almost immediately and looked great! Late last night and this morning, he seems to be swimming a bit strange. I may be over reacting but I want to make sure it isn't something more. He eats fine today but I did notice he missed a brine shrimp went he went to go eat it. Any help would be great. Thank you

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest after seeing the video he looked better than what I was expecting to see.
Did you receive via shipped? I’ve noticed fish received from a certain vendor come in half out-of-it. Takes a a day or so to snap out of it.
If he’s eating you should be ok.
Fairy Wrasses do have some odd swimming at times. I have a Scott’s that hangs out in an odd pose at times after a meal.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest after seeing the video he looked better than what I was expecting to see.
Did you receive via shipped? I’ve noticed fish received from a certain vendor come in half out-of-it. Takes a a day or so to snap out of it.
If he’s eating you should be ok.
Fairy Wrasses do have some odd swimming at times. I have a Scott’s that hangs out in an odd pose at times after a meal.

I got him from salgado aquatics and was actually delivered to me (which was a huge help!) He's still eating great so I'm hoping you're right about just needing to snap out of it.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wrasse recently start swimming like that and a few days later noticed belly bloat. And then I lost him bc I couldn't get him out to treat for internal parasites. He could possibly just have been backed up too but I dont know.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him from salgado aquatics and was actually delivered to me (which was a huge help!) He's still eating great so I'm hoping you're right about just needing to snap out of it.

How is he doing?

I’ve been debating about ordering from Salgado. I feel confident with them from what I’ve read.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He got worse today actually. Ate medicated food all the way up until tonight. Salgado has some nice stuff and very friendly people. Unfortunately if this one doesn't make it, that will be the second one that I've gotten from him that didn't make it. First was an older male that I don't believe was able to handle the transition to aquarium life. I think I'll stick to TSM for another rhomboid. I'll Pay the extra money for a 4 week long QT fish

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Hopefully he’ll keep eating and the meds help.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rhomboid has gotten progressively worse. He looks like this. Not breathing heavy or seems in distress. He can't keep himself upright. He does eat if I put brine Infront of his mouth. Do you think This is spinal or swim bladder?
IMG_20200223_232318.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a spinal injury. I believe swim bladder issues cause the opposite behavior, with the tail floating up.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been eating all the way up to where he couldn't keep himself off the bottom of the tank. He will eat from tweezers when I put brine Infront if his face

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@evolved is someone who may be able to help

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved is someone who may be able to help
I had been PM'd on this one, but I'll repeat it here.

It appears to me as a spinal or otherwise neurological issue. Swim bladder typically causes the tail to "float".
The troubling part is, what course of action to take? And there's not a clear answer - throwing the trifecta of antibiotics at it and hoping for the best is what most do - and unfortunately is often unsuccessful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back