Wrasses Eating Nori/Algae

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to start a discussion.

I have 4 wrasses, Female Blue Star Leopard, Female Ornate Leopard, Black-Backed (China) Wrasse, Ruby Head Wrasse.

All 4 love eating the nori I put in the tank for my Tang and Blenny. (of course they get plenty of meat too) Wrasses are listed as Carnivores. Do they eat "veggies" in the wild? Has anyone else noticed this with their wrasses?

Why do you think they enjoy going for the Veggies?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are little eating machines lol, they will eat anything. I have a coris and a melanarus and they both munch nori, dry food, frozen food and hunt pods and worms during the day.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 4 wrasses, Female Blue Star Leopard, Female Ornate Leopard, Black-Backed (China) Wrasse, Ruby Head Wrasse.

All 4 love eating the nori I put in the tank for my Tang and Blenny. (of course they get plenty of meat too) Wrasses are listed as Carnivores. Do they eat "veggies" in the wild? Has anyone else noticed this with their wrasses?

My wrasse loved nori, so does my trigger. The only fish I've kept that didn't was my lion fish. It's instinctive (I believe) for them to eat any food source they see their tank mates eating.

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus wrasse that will eat meat, frozen meat dropped into the tank, and sea weed from the clip. He doesn't seem particular.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect that the op's wrasses all had parents like mine?

Food Eat GIF

dnahas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori on a clip my, melanurus eats a good bit but mostly enjoys tearing it off the clip from the edges.

Nori on Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder, the melanurus doesn't even look at it, giving the tang some time to eat.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow coris started picking at the nori just one day and hasn't looked back lol

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of melanurus eat everything - nori, mysis, brine, spirulina, vermitid snails, feather dusters, freshly molted shrimp - and they hunt pods all day.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that most fish in captivity and probably in the wild, will eat both veggies and meat thus are omnivores even when listed as meat or plant eaters. . They’ll eat either plant or meat as a supplement to their preferable diet. The balance of the diet should always tilt towards their diet classification of course.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Carpenters flasher that would go absolutely nuts for nori. Even my foxface and yellow tang would step aside for him. He would light up like a Xmas tree as he would rip off pieces. I have a video of him somewhere?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses have ate nori starting from the first time the seaweed clips went into the tanks.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just think if it this way, most of what wrasses eat, eat algae. Those pods, snails, hermits. Gut loaded on algae and other stuff.

JTyce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My pudding wife wrasse devours it.

Joesach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Carpenters flasher that would go absolutely nuts for nori. Even my foxface and yellow tang would step aside for him. He would light up like a Xmas tree as he would rip off pieces. I have a video of him somewhere?
So does mine. He get's to it before my blenny.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back