Wrasses Eating Nori/Algae

TSM Aquatics

Arruna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I wanted to start a discussion.

I have 4 wrasses, Female Blue Star Leopard, Female Ornate Leopard, Black-Backed (China) Wrasse, Ruby Head Wrasse.

All 4 love eating the nori I put in the tank for my Tang and Blenny. (of course they get plenty of meat too) Wrasses are listed as Carnivores. Do they eat "veggies" in the wild? Has anyone else noticed this with their wrasses?

Why do you think they enjoy going for the Veggies?

Top Shelf Aquatics

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
They are little eating machines lol, they will eat anything. I have a coris and a melanarus and they both munch nori, dry food, frozen food and hunt pods and worms during the day.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
So I wanted to start a discussion.

I have 4 wrasses, Female Blue Star Leopard, Female Ornate Leopard, Black-Backed (China) Wrasse, Ruby Head Wrasse.

All 4 love eating the nori I put in the tank for my Tang and Blenny. (of course they get plenty of meat too) Wrasses are listed as Carnivores. Do they eat "veggies" in the wild? Has anyone else noticed this with their wrasses?

Why do you think they enjoy going for the Veggies?
My wrasse loved nori, so does my trigger. The only fish I've kept that didn't was my lion fish. It's instinctive (I believe) for them to eat any food source they see their tank mates eating.

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would suspect that the op's wrasses all had parents like mine?

Food Eat GIF

Maxout

dnahas

View Badges
Reaction score
Nori on a clip my, melanurus eats a good bit but mostly enjoys tearing it off the clip from the edges.

Nori on Two Little Fishies Pouch Feeder, the melanurus doesn't even look at it, giving the tang some time to eat.

Dcal

View Badges
Reaction score
My yellow coris started picking at the nori just one day and hasn't looked back lol

TSM Aquatics

What temperature do you think it too high for your reef tank?

Votes: 50 10.8%

Votes: 84 18.1%

Votes: 86 18.5%

Votes: 100 21.5%

Votes: 72 15.5%
  • 84+

Votes: 57 12.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.4%
REEFTIDE FOLLOW US @reeftideaquariums