Wrasses in a 235g

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the wrasses I want in a 235g build I am starting.

Any issues? I only plan to have a single wrasse of each with one exception but certainly open to opinions on having multiples of any of these. I LOVE wrasses, but don't know if any will shoal or do better with more than one. @evolved

Red Velvet Fairy
Linespot Flasher
Leopard
Flame (would like a pair)
Bluestreak Cleaner
Golden Rhomboidalis
Yellow Coris
Lubbok's
Lineatus

Thanks!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhomboid and lineatus are in the same complex .....we'll see what Hunter says but you might get by with it. Don't try to pair fairy wrasses(flame) as the female will almost always transition to male and WWIII will break out. I don't think it's possible to get wrasses to shoal in an aquarium (less than thousands of gallons) even if you could get past the transition to male issue but I'll defer to Hunter on that one too.

The other issue is the Red Velvet fairy.....can be very aggressive.

Here's the definitive article about fairy wrasses and the compatibility chart. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhomboid and lineatus are in the same complex .....we'll see what Hunter says but you might get by with it. Don't try to pair fairy wrasses(flame) as the female will almost always transition to male and WWIII will break out. I don't think it's possible to get wrasses to shoal in an aquarium (less than thousands of gallons) even if you could get past the transition to male issue but I'll defer to Hunter on that one too.

Here's the definitive article about fairy wrasses and the compatibility chart. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/
Thank you!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhomboid and lineatus are in the same complex .....we'll see what Hunter says but you might get by with it.
No problem in a tank this size.
Don't try to pair fairy wrasses(flame) as the female will almost always transition to male and WWIII will break out.
Agree :)
I don't think it's possible to get wrasses to shoal in an aquarium (less than thousands of gallons) even if you could get past the transition to male issue but I'll defer to Hunter on that one too.
Right; shoals just don't really behave like this in captivity, as predation doesn't happen.
Sometimes - but the tank size helps a lot here. Probably okay.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem in a tank this size.

Agree :)

Right; shoals just don't really behave like this in captivity, as predation doesn't happen.

Sometimes - but the tank size helps a lot here. Probably okay.
Thank you for your comments!! I love wrasses so I'm excited to have a tank this size that I can put a lot of them in there! I'll stick to the recommendation and not pair them, just get 1 of each of my list.

One more question though, is it more fun to get them as females and watch them transition to the male or should I just start with the male?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question though, is it more fun to get them as females and watch them transition to the male or should I just start with the male?
That's really your choice. There is a chance that a female which transitions to male may not develop quite the saturated coloration that a captured terminal male have.
Personally, I do try to buy juvi's whenever possible.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back