Wrasses in QT - what is going on?

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an azure damsel, a Tanaka's pygmy wrasse (Wetmorella tanakai), pink margin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus) and an Orange Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) that I had in QT. I was only treating for internal parasites using food soaked in General Cure + Focus. Yesterday, the pink margin became very lethargic, staying inside one of the PVC elbows. He didn't show any external symptoms of ich, velvet, etc. When I woke up this morning, he had died and now the Orange Back is starting to show the same lethargy. I have attached a pic of the pink margin, but there is nothing that I can see externally. I was thinking of starting a treatment with Nitrofuracin Green. Any other suggestions?
IMG_5659.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pete,

Lethargy isn't a symptom of any specific disease. However, this fish died with its mouth open, and that can point to a couple of problems. What is the ammonia testing at in the QT? Do you have good aeration? Not just circulation, but something breaking the water's surface to make bubbles? It could also be gill disease, but in that case, the "lethargy" would be combined with rapid breathing, are you seeing that?

Jay

OP
OP
P

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Jay. I haven't seen any signs of rapid breathing. My ammonia alert badge isn't showing elevated signs of ammonia, and I have had the QT up and running for about 2 months using Seachem Pond Matrix that I had been using in another tank as biological filtration. I have one powerhead in the back chamber (the tank is an AIO) and it has a random flow nozzle near the top of the water column. It was directed down, however, so I just raised it for more surface agitation after reading your post. In addition, I did a 25% water change and added Nitrofuracin Green based on the label instructions. Anything else I should consider?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - not many clues to go on here, if you get additional symptoms, let me know.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Pete Paschall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Not long after giving the antibiotic and increasing surface agitation, the orange back wrasse is out and about and seems to be swimming normally. So, I fed the tank and he was eating well - maybe the lack of surface agitation caused depleted O2 levels?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back