Wrasses Life expectancy

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have been keeping wrasses for the past ten yrs and what I am finding out is the life span of certain wrasses is much shorter than others. But what is throwing me off is how a healthy perfect wrasse drops dead from one day to another with no signs of any desease. Like to hear experiences of reefers who keep wrasses. How old were their wrasses before they died and how they died if known

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the wrasses.

Flasher wrasses seem to have a life span around 5yrs.

Fairies seem to be closer to 6-7yrs

Leopards seem to be around 6-7yrs

Halichoeres are around 8yrs

Pseudojuloides are about 5yrs

Anampses are around 6-7yrs

Wetmorella and pink streak wrasse is between 3-4yrs.

Some of the species found in cooler waters will have shorter life spans in aquaria.

Species kept with a lot of congeners where there are a lot of displays toward each other, live a little shorter lives.

Specimens acquired as males already won't live as long either.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree in general to TJ's comments above, but the life spans I have in mind are a bit different. Mind you, they're all in the same ballpark.

Flashers: 4-5 years
Fairys: 6-8 years
Leopards: 8-10 years
Tamarins: ~10 years
Halichoeres: 7-8 years

And definitely agree to the temps of our tanks accelerating the life of some species; that is certainly a factor too.

It's really hard to classify captive lifespans, as very few keep a species from juvi to adulthood and finally death. And there's the thing with buying adult specimens; you have no idea how old they might already be.

While I've lost my fair share of wrasses over the years, I can't say many have come without any warning. In fact, very few would I classify as dying that way. Almost all deaths I saw coming a few days to a few weeks before hand; they tend to get pretty skinny on their way out. Some deaths were probably a result of internal parasites, and I've had at least one death in the past due to a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends on the wrasses.

Flasher wrasses seem to have a life span around 5yrs.

Fairies seem to be closer to 6-7yrs

Leopards seem to be around 6-7yrs

Halichoeres are around 8yrs

Pseudojuloides are about 5yrs

Anampses are around 6-7yrs

Wetmorella and pink streak wrasse is between 3-4yrs.

Some of the species found in cooler waters will have shorter life spans in aquaria.

Species kept with a lot of congeners where there are a lot of displays toward each other, live a little shorter lives.

Specimens acquired as males already won't live as long either.

I agree in general to TJ's comments above, but the life spans I have in mind are a bit different. Mind you, they're all in the same ballpark.

Flashers: 4-5 years
Fairys: 6-8 years
Leopards: 8-10 years
Tamarins: ~10 years
Halichoeres: 7-8 years

And definitely agree to the temps of our tanks accelerating the life of some species; that is certainly a factor too.

It's really hard to classify captive lifespans, as very few keep a species from juvi to adulthood and finally death. And there's the thing with buying adult specimens; you have no idea how old they might already be.

While I've lost my fair share of wrasses over the years, I can't say many have come without any warning. In fact, very few would I classify as dying that way. Almost all deaths I saw coming a few days to a few weeks before hand; they tend to get pretty skinny on their way out. Some deaths were probably a result of internal parasites, and I've had at least one death in the past due to a bacterial infection.

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. lost couple of wrasses with no warning and I'm wondering if it's a predator in my tank that I don't know off. Bacteria or a parasite noticed on my femenines cause he got skinny around the head and eyes, but he was about 5 yrs old in my tank and who knows how old was he when I got it. Lost my male Johnson that was healthy and flashing all day long and by the morning he was getting eaten by my nassarius snails. That started to make me a little concerned. Last week I lost a juvenile earlie wrasse same out of no where, eating and active and by next day gone dissapaered. Sometimes I wonder by carbon dosing and the bacteria that I add to the tank. Is it making my fish sick. Any thoughts will be very much appriciated cause i am freaking out. Thank you

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it certainly sounds like there is a parasite/disease going through the tank. That is quite a few losses in a short period of time, more than just a coincidence. @Humblefish @melypr1985

I don't think carbon dosing would be too much of an issue. I carbon dose and haven't had that happen.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be flukes. Next time a fish dies drop the body in tap water. Within 5 mins tiny white specks should fall out of the gills if he has flukes. Or you could perform a FW dip (use RODI/temp match/aerate) on a live fish to check for flukes, but I know how hard wrasses are to catch. o_O

However, your saying one of the fish was "skinny around the head" before it died makes me wonder if Hexamita (internal parasite) could be in play. Have you ever seen any white, stringy feces come out of any of your fish?

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Internal parasites are certainly a possibility since it sounds like they are mostly dying sooner than they should. Watch the poop and do a FW did - like humble said- just to be sure flukes isn't in play here.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, it certainly sounds like there is a parasite/disease going through the tank. That is quite a few losses in a short period of time, more than just a coincidence. @Humblefish @melypr1985

I don't think carbon dosing would be too much of an issue. I carbon dose and haven't had that happen.

Could be flukes. Next time a fish dies drop the body in tap water. Within 5 mins tiny white specks should fall out of the gills if he has flukes. Or you could perform a FW dip (use RODI/temp match/aerate) on a live fish to check for flukes, but I know how hard wrasses are to catch. o_O

However, your saying one of the fish was "skinny around the head" before it died makes me wonder if Hexamita (internal parasite) could be in play. Have you ever seen any white, stringy feces could out of any of your fish?

+1 Internal parasites are certainly a possibility since it sounds like they are mostly dying sooner than they should. Watch the poop and do a FW did - like humble said- just to be sure flukes isn't in play here.

Thank you so much for helping out. I will definetly keep an eye on them. So far every wrasse is in tank seems to be eating and pooping fine. Have some dominance fighting between the adult earlie and flame wrasse which seems they reached adult hood at the same time. The outcome is not going to be good I'm sure cause I had same experience before. I don't know much about parasites and flukes etc. you are amazing with all the knowledge you have about this. Catching any fish in my tank is almost impossible but I'll try with a trap. I definetly have something going on just have to do like you are recommending. I just replaced my uv light bulb cause it was burned hopefully will help with some things if that make any sense. Thank you all again you are very helpfull

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leopard wrasse live 7 years.

1581349462271.png

I think that was my longest lived wrasse. I had a Christmas wrasse live a similar amount of time who was huge. Towards the end he looked really beat up and old. As far as fairy wrasses go I never had as much long term success I believe pylei was my longest lived at 5+

To be fair most of my fairy wrasses died in accidents but as mentioned above their lifespan isn't particularly long, especially if you're buying super males you have no idea how old they already are. I've gotten out of keeping wrasses despite the fact they are probably my favorite fish. If I were to get new ones I'd buy the smallest size I could find especially at today's prices.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shorter lives is why I try to buy juveniles or sub males, that way I can enjoy them longer and enjoy watching them change and develop.. I don’t get the instant wow of adding a super male but hopefully get to enjoy one in the end...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a leopard wrasse live 7 years.

1581349462271.png

I think that was my longest lived wrasse. I had a Christmas wrasse live a similar amount of time who was huge. Towards the end he looked really beat up and old. As far as fairy wrasses go I never had as much long term success I believe pylei was my longest lived at 5+

To be fair most of my fairy wrasses died in accidents but as mentioned above their lifespan isn't particularly long, especially if you're buying super males you have no idea how old they already are. I've gotten out of keeping wrasses despite the fact they are probably my favorite fish. If I were to get new ones I'd buy the smallest size I could find especially at today's prices.
That's a beautiful fish!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been keeping wrasses for the past ten yrs and what I am finding out is the life span of certain wrasses is much shorter than others. But what is throwing me off is how a healthy perfect wrasse drops dead from one day to another with no signs of any desease. Like to hear experiences of reefers who keep wrasses. How old were their wrasses before they died and how they died if known
I had my 6 line wrasse for 2 months then disappeared out of thin air and till this day i never found him lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back