Wrasse's Sleeping Behavior

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if it's common behavior of Hoeven's Wrasse.. every night about 1 hour before lights out, my wrasse would swim in circles in two areas of the tank, possibly surveying the area for safe sleep. He'd do this for about 15 minutes before burrowing himself in the back corner of the tank where he usually sleeps (45 minutes before lights out). It's clockwork, every night, same time.

my other wrasses do not exhibit this behavior (Yellow coris, red-head solon and leopard wrasse). These guys just take a dive into their sleeping areas minutes before lights out.

Nick.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus wrasse does the inspection thing before diving in.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is entirely normal behavior, melanarus/hoevens are just a bit more choosy where they slumber. Halichoeres nearly all do this to some degree, but melanarus are more fun to watch because they are picky.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potter's and Ear Muff both do that but my biocellatus just swims along and suddenly disappears in a cloud of sand.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanurus also is lights out about an hour before bed time, seems like a pattern. Though my tiny Leopard wrasse in quarantine beats him to bed even earlier.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I was stirring up the sand bed one night and woke the kid up. I jumped a foot in the air I was so surprised!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse does exactly the same thing. They have a thing to repetetiveness. My wrasse starts circling the area he wants to sleep at exactly 5:45. Then dives in the sand at exactly, I mean EXACTLY 5:59. 1 min before blue/moon light. I find this wired bed fascinating.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well best place 2 ask his for my frag tank what's the best wrasse 2 use. I had a 6line and loved it till it killed a Darwin but won't b any other fish in the tank I'm planning. Its been running for 4 months and finished its cycling completely. And just added some snails ceriths and such

UKJIG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of mine going to sleep.
M02R7fEQE2Q

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is pretty neat to watch them dive in at night I strangely find it more entertaining when they emerge in the morning, pretty cool watching them just "pop" out like that.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my Earmuff goes to sleep early and is not picky about his spot - dives in and I don't see him again till morning. Lately he's been more selective and has stayed up later trying out a few different places.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back