• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB 100 Aptesia for a 11th grade research project urgently.

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for cross posting.. but this is time sensitive.
Hi,

My 11th grader is supposed doing a research project and needs Aptesia. She had ordered 100 of them from www.carolina.com on Dec 30.They said they would ship by Jan 18 but it never arrived. Now they told us it i out of stock. My student needs to start her project by Wednesday and complete it before Feb 15.
I am posting question here to check where can I get 100 Aptesia. I am located in Redmond WA
thank you in advance for help

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they also have a 100 pack
I have a naive question. Is that item actual live aiptasia anemone? Title says it but is also says Berghia food.
"Live Aiptasia Pallida tagetes Anemone 10 Pack Corals Reef Aquarium Berghia Food"
So I am confused. I have contacted seller to confirm but thought of checking here :)

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a naive question. Is that item actual live aiptasia anemone? Title says it but is also says Berghia food.
"Live Aiptasia Pallida tagetes Anemone 10 Pack Corals Reef Aquarium Berghia Food"
So I am confused. I have contacted seller to confirm but thought of checking here :)
yes just to follow up the "berghia food" is just a way of marketing it since no one in the hobby as you can imagine has use for them other than that purpose usually! What is your student studying also I use teach high school bio?

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes just to follow up the "berghia food" is just a way of marketing it since no one in the hobby as you can imagine has use for them other than that purpose usually! What is your student studying also I use teach high school bio?
Appreciate your reply! I found about 40-50 at a local fish store!
My student is doing a marine research project to participate in CSRCEF https://sites.google.com/view/csrsef/home which starts on March 11.
Their topic is impact of certain chemicals on Corals. Since Aiptesia genome matches with corals project will be done on Aiptesia.

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Perthegallon Aiptesia where nicely blooming in the fish store and are attached to tiny rocks. It has been 12/13 hours and we have kept them in a tank with 78F Salt water and 24x7 Aquarium light. However, they seem to be dead :(. I dont see them bloom and some of them are detached from the rocks and floating.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Appreciate your reply! I found about 40-50 at a local fish store!
My student is doing a marine research project to participate in CSRCEF https://sites.google.com/view/csrsef/home which starts on March 11.
Their topic is impact of certain chemicals on Corals. Since Aiptesia genome matches with corals project will be done on Aiptesia.
Aiptasia isn't a coral, so you may want to reconsider. It is an anenome, not a coral. I'd actually get coral. Or at least do both?

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia isn't a coral, so you may want to reconsider. It is an anenome, not a coral. I'd actually get coral. Or at least do both?
It is commonly used in research projects and is approved by project mentor.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @Perthegallon Aiptesia where nicely blooming in the fish store and are attached to tiny rocks. It has been 12/13 hours and we have kept them in a tank with 78F Salt water and 24x7 Aquarium light. However, they seem to be dead :(. I dont see them bloom and some of them are detached from the rocks and floating.
hm that’s very weird

What is the salinity of the tank? ( make sure it’s calibrated as well)

Has it been cycled

what is the nitrate and phosphate levels

What is the light above it as well?

I’m hoping it’s better by now but if not we can take a look at these basic parameters and move upwards of what the issue could be

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also if any of these you don’t have access to your local fish store will likely be able to tell you^ or double check your water

OP
OP
S

sonalichitnis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hm that’s very weird

What is the salinity of the tank? ( make sure it’s calibrated as well)

Has it been cycled

what is the nitrate and phosphate levels

What is the light above it as well?

I’m hoping it’s better by now but if not we can take a look at these basic parameters and move upwards of what the issue could
We found more Aiptasia in a different store and moved them to the tank immediately and they are doing fine. I think first batch died because water in the tank was not warm enough. For 2nd batch we got a powerful heater and kept thermometer inside so we can keep any eye on the temperature. Also adjusted Aquarium light for 24x7 mode.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back