wtt for Tubs True blue etc.........

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twon8 said:
my polyps had a time as washed out brownish green, but have returned to white. I don't know that marvin knows that he has the leng sy cap. I only know because i spend way too much time on rc, and i read the people from dc talking about how they had gotten theirs.

good points.

i consider marvin to be one of the most upstanding, ethical owners i have ever met from a LFS.

however, marvin is also a very good business man. :wink:

i remember about a year and a half ago, when the superman monti craze hit the scene, he had his "wild" superman in his show tank, and thus sold frags of the "superman monti".

as our discussion this past weekend, i've hinted that its a "wild superman", and not the original "Tyree superman" or "atlantis superman", as i have seen frags from those specific lineage and there is a HUGE difference in which a camera or picture could not pick up on.

the colony at FishWorld as a great example, as it looked alot brighter blue than Marvins, but the polyps were still a dark color.

here is a pic of the "atlantis tyree superman monti", a local reefer got from Copps on RC, who got it directly from Tyree or Atlantis (cant remember which one).
Superman%2010-30.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, but superman has now come to simply mean a red/blue combination, as evidenced by the digi, zoas, etc. all bearing that moniker in the pursuit of increased prices.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my trade thread went south so I guess I will collect some info on a few other zoas I am looking for. who has the true RPE'S and who had the original colony?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twon8 said:
I hear you, but superman has now come to simply mean a red/blue combination, as evidenced by the digi, zoas, etc. all bearing that moniker in the pursuit of increased prices.

yup, exactly right. which means its even more important now than ever, to set asside those special names from those specific lineages (named after a store or person), by naming them "Atlantis Superman Monti", or "Tyree Superman Monti", instead of just "superman monti".

whenever i see "superman monti", i remained very unimpressed almost every time when i see the pictures. as they are nothing like the morph from the tyree lineage.

but i'm sure at one point, all people selling them will call it the "tyree superman monti" b/c they know it will sell for more by calling it that.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy said:
well my trade thread went south so I guess I will collect some info on a few other zoas I am looking for. who has the true RPE'S and who had the original colony?

lol sorry about that, feel free to post a new thread about your RPE's over in the trading/selling, or want to buy forums.

but i think you are mistaken, no one had the "original" RPE's. RPE's describe exactly what they are. They are red, and they are people eaters. i've seen several different types of RPE's out there. some darker than others, some with stripes and some completely solid. but they were still red, and they still had green slit mouths, thus RPEs

your question would by synonymous to asking who has the true blue zoas, and who had the original colony... which i dont think anyone could answer as far as the original colony, but i'm sure alot of people have true blue zoas.

now, if twon8 wanted to show you some ultra rare, "surfn RPE's", and then i went to my LFS and saw a wild RPE colony labelled "surfn RPE's", i'd be kinda ticked b/c i know the LFS didnt get them from me. lol :lol:

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
Randy said:

lol sorry about that, feel free to post a new thread about your RPE's over in the trading/selling, or want to buy forums.

but i think you are mistaken, no one had the "original" RPE's. RPE's describe exactly what they are. They are red, and they are people eaters. i've seen several different types of RPE's out there. some darker than others, some with stripes and some completely solid. but they were still red, and they still had green slit mouths, thus RPEs

your question would by synonymous to asking who has the true blue zoas, and who had the original colony... which i dont think anyone could answer as far as the original colony, but i'm sure alot of people have true blue zoas.

now, if twon8 wanted to show you some ultra rare, "surfn RPE's", and then i went to my LFS and saw a wild RPE colony labelled "surfn RPE's", i'd be kinda ticked b/c i know the LFS didnt get them from me. lol :lol:

This is why I was asking I have not found anything that has stated that RPE'S were named by ......... or who has a true colony.This was next on my list. I am still looking for the RPE'S W/ the black ring and green slit mouth.I have the plain old RPE and it is cool but wanted some of the others.

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back on track---
IMO RPE's are not that rare. I have seen several nice colonies come into my LFS's. I bought one and its truely awesome. I got it for a good price, and it even had some GPE's on it. Watch your LFS and you will probly find one.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, do you have a pic of your kind of RPE?

i'll upload some pics of my RPE's, which sound like the kind you are looking for. unfortunately i need to leave them alone for the next couple months to grow out. as i went frag frenzy on them this past spring.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minibowmatt said:
back on track---
IMO RPE's are not that rare. I have seen several nice colonies come into my LFS's. I bought one and its truely awesome. I got it for a good price, and it even had some GPE's on it. Watch your LFS and you will probly find one.

this is a correct assumption. they are not *that* rare. but i imagine are difficult to find depending on where you live.

and as i mentioned before, there seem to be several different morphs of RPE's. some with stripes, and some completely solid. the ones that are completely solid, and very dark seem to be the more common kind.

the morph that has stripes, and a dark area around the green slit mouth seem to be the most wanted, and "true" RPE morph according to the norm of the masses.

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess I have never picked up on that particular morph being the "true" RPE. When I first learned about RPE's, a long time ago, the only ones ever pictured were the dark red with red skirt and green mouth. I have always associated that morph as the real RPE. The black mouthed RPE is relatively new to the scene IMO.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are my RPE's after i added some carbon over a year ago, they became quite stressed and bleached a bit around the skirts as you can tell
red%20people%20eaters.jpg

more recent picture.
red%20people%20eaters%202.jpg

and a closeup: (no, these are not orange people eaters or OPE's, alot of people ask me that :roll: ) :lol:
RPE%20closeup.jpg

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minibowmatt said:
i guess I have never picked up on that particular morph being the "true" RPE. When I first learned about RPE's, a long time ago, the only ones ever pictured were the dark red with red skirt and green mouth. I have always associated that morph as the real RPE. The black mouthed RPE is relatively new to the scene IMO.

yeah possibly, i guess it just depends on what is common to your area, and how much you read and take people's words for over on RC.

IMO i dont care which is the "true RPE". its still red, and its still a people eater. So they are both "true RPE's" IMO. there are just a couple different varieties of RPE's out there.

if i could get my hands on every different morph of RPE, i would!! :D

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pic of when they first came in it is a wild colony and needs some more time to color up.

This pic is under 10k

july06037.jpg

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, yeah those are exactly the kind i was thinking about that come in from the wild and seem to be more common. wow those are a deep red! :)

those definately seem to be more common than the morph i have.

i guess you could call your morph, the wild version. and my morph the propagated version. i have never seen a colony of the kind i have that came from the wild (except for the place i got it from).........so * i guess * that would make them *rarer* if you believe in that kind of stuff ;)

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours are the ones that I am takling about but yours look some what washed.I have seen some that are like WOW so bright red that you can't look to long or you will see spots.

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they all came from the wild.
If yours developed the black in captivity, it might go away under different conditions. I have ones simillar to randy's but maybe a bit purpley?
I agree, they are all cool True RPE's.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy said:
Yours are the ones that I am takling about but yours look some what washed.I have seen some that are like WOW so bright red that you can't look to long or you will see spots.

in the first picture, they look washed/bleached b/c of the carbon i was running at the time.

in the second picture, they were taken under 10k's.

in the 3rd picture, they look very washed out b/c of my horrible, 6 year old digital camera.

twon8 has some RPE's from me, and they look amazing in his tank.

i think i just have way too much light in my tanks due to the sps i was trying to get to color up.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
Randy said:

in the first picture, they look washed/bleached b/c of the carbon i was running at the time.

in the second picture, they were taken under 10k's.

in the 3rd picture, they look very washed out b/c of my horrible, 6 year old digital camera.

twon8 has some RPE's from me, and they look amazing in his tank.

i think i just have way too much light in my tanks due to the sps i was trying to get to color up.
do you have a full tank shot.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no full tank shots that are current, and worth bragging about :(

i'm getting ready to move in the next couple of weeks, so everything is set up in propagation style tank so i can move stuff easier without worrying about aquascaping.

Back