here is when i got them in december.
P2111350.jpg

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoise doo look awesome Twon! amybe I need to find some of those too! any1 wanna trade? LOL!

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need me to hold them for you until you move just let me know. :D

When your ready to frag let me know.

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's up guys? I was invited onto this board and finally have some time to contribute... First off, to clear up some things regarding the Original Superman...

surfn said:
here is a pic of the "atlantis tyree superman monti", a local reefer got from Copps on RC, who got it directly from Tyree or Atlantis (cant remember which one).

First off, I've had this coral since 2003, long before Tyree and Atlantis, and long before it was called Superman... it was just the red blue danae!:D I've distributed this quite a bit over the years, including a frag to rural Alaska... (I believe the first to that state after talking with the guy)

The original Superman was obtained as a wild colony by RC member isseym328 back in 2002... it was a ~10 inch colony and issey (a near beginner at the time) got the colony for $60 in Cali for his 20 gallon tank with PC lighting and he was an sps newbie:D Needless to say it was asking to be chopped... Sam Tabora (aka Bruddah) got a few pieces of this original colony and spread it to a few buddies, including John Susbilla (you zoanthid guys know him as the INFAMOUS Tubs :D). My local buddy here in the DC area (Robie Sayan, October 2003 TOTM on RC, now out of the hobby) got a piece from Tubs in a trade they did (which on a side note included Robie giving him the now infamous pink lemonade acro in that trade). This was all in 2003... I convinced Robie to break off two NUBS of the Superman for me... I lost one soon after when it rolled over and got fried by an acro... Robie got out of the hobby unfortunately in 2004, and I bought his mother colony of Superman... he had lost his job and fallen on hard times so I paid him handsomely and recouped this (and justified to the wife) by spreading this out and selling it. There's a ton of people who have gotten the coral from people I sold it to, which is great... I'm not exactly sure when Atlantis and Tyree got it, but it was well after this, as there were only a few people who knew about this coral at the time we had it. Robie had a sick tank... here's a link to his article from Oct. 2003, where you could see a pic of the Superman (again long before it was "Superman")... you could even see a pic of the "pink lemonade" acro... he had a SICK zoo collection too...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/totm/index.php

In my article in September '04 you could see a pic of the nub of Superman a little grown out (the frags I distributed were from the other colony mentioned above not shown in the pic)... sorry no zoos in that system as I had my original regal angel in there (now a trio in my big system!), so the zoos were in the corner system you see in one of the photos there...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/totm/index.php

Anyway... on the topic of RPEs, here's an old shot of one of my pieces... what a beautiful morph, blowing away the other maroonish "they're red if you catch them in the right light" morphs... the best RPEs are the morphs shown here... as true a red in an zoo/paly you'll find...

Happy Friday all!
[/url]

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you are RIGHT... that tank IS sick...!

One day, Pinky... one day!!!
:wave:
The Brain

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Flora said:
copps,

wow! thanks for the history. it's cool to hear some background on some of these corals.

sam
very true. I really like to know lineage on some of these corals that command high prices... it like buying purebread dogs! If your gonna call it AKC- you better prove it!

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys... it's great to get the history behind some of these corals... and funny how certain things blow up like the Superman has... it deserves it though. There are many "Superman" coming in nowadays, and I'm sure some could attain the color of this original colony, but I have not found one yet. I have a wild colony right next to a piece of the original and it is night and day the difference. My guess is that this original colony came from some area not yet found... the colony came in when others weren't. Now in the Solomons they've found something similar, and the sad thing is that many vendors have charged an arm and a leg for these basing their pricing off of CAPTIVE GROWN frags of the original that are expensive to grow... certain vendors know where these colonies are growing, and have found Volkswagon sized colonies that are hacked up and sold retail for exhorbitant prices. Anyway, don't want to turn this into a capitalism thread... This would be similar to someone finding mountains of PPEs in the wild and slowly throwing them on the market at CAPTIVE grown prices.

Another thing always mentioned is color... you could have a beautiful reef with common colorful corals... Part of the nostalgia of owning these corals from an original line (ie Superman, PPE) is knowing that you have a slice of history... literally... have there been wild colonies of PPE that are every bit as beautiful and colorful as Perun's original? Yes! But it's great to be able to trace your coral to that ORIGINAL colony that started the rage... To some people it's not important and that's fine, but other's should not be criticized for wanting a piece of that history... How do we know we're getting the originals? There is no AKC... you just need to trust who you're getting it from, and many people take advantage of this... I'm sure you've seen the recent PPE scam tangey tried to play that was talked about here at club-zoa...
http://www.club-zoa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56&highlight=copps
On top of trust, many times in recent years discussion boards like this corroborate stories...

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say the kid should be spanked... :puke: It makes everyone think badly of names they don't recognize. :(

It's cool, copps, cuz everytime I see your name I'm thinking about your TOTM...! And it makes me wanna sing, too. :love1:

"D
Laurie

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even though it was without a zoanthid? :D And what song do you sing I wonder? :lol:

It was funny... before I put the regal angel in that tank I removed my zoo collection to another system... a few were left behind... and sure as ____ within about four hours the regal had picked every zoo clean!

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love zoas, but I really just love reefs in general. My reef is a very mixed tank, with bright colors more the focus. Which is why I like zoas so much- they are like little punches of color... :D

And, of course, I sing the Pinky and The Brain Song.. because when I see tanks like yours I know it is completely possible that "One day, Pinky, my tank shall rule the world!!!"

For zoanthids TOTM advice, I go back and check Mr. Uy's tank... :D
:lol:
Laurie

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back