WVNeds's Tanks

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need the wire management fairy to come visit me.
Got the thing on the tank. I was going to hang it but it came with legs so I stuck them on
The 10K T-5 bulbs are very yellow? I may swap them out with royal blue. They sent extra bulbs with it so I have them. I will have to wrestle it off the tank though.
Doesn't even have on/off switches, just 5 cords. I put it on some digital timers.
716 watts. I need some sunscreen. It is overkill on the 75 but I think 2 will be perfect on the big tank. That is "in production".
I am in water way over my head. I used to swim really well and that never bothered me. Not so sure anymore.
I am very lucky getting to do something I always dreamed of.
2019032521453429-IMG_0871-XL.jpg

Looks nice! I like a beefy light or canopy over a big tank.

.......... but those wires give me anxiety. lol

:D

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! I like a beefy light or canopy over a big tank.

.......... but those wires give me anxiety. lol

:D

I will probably put a wrap on them and pass them through the wall.
serveimage

Then mount the ballasts there over the sump on the wall
Petco is having the dollar a gallon sale and I need to get a tank to make a sump.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light has raised the tank temp 1 degree. I turned the temp down from 80 to 78 on the Inkbird. I will check it again tomorrow. Right now it is holding at 81. It usually ran 79.8 to 80.2 before. I am running the MH from 11am to 4pm right now and the T_5s from 8am to 9pm.
With everything on it looks like this. This with default white balance in the camera and not corrected.
I changed out the 10k T-5s with the 420nm ones this morning.
2019_03_26_0025-X4.jpg

I ordered 2 ATI Aquablue special bulbs this morning.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light has raised the tank temp 1 degree. I turned the temp down from 80 to 78 on the Inkbird. I will check it again tomorrow. Right now it is holding at 81. It usually ran 79.8 to 80.2 before. I am running the MH from 11am to 4pm right now and the T_5s from 8am to 9pm.
With everything on it looks like this. This with default white balance in the camera and not corrected.
I changed out the 10k T-5s with the 420nm ones this morning.
2019_03_26_0025-X4.jpg

I ordered 2 ATI Aquablue special bulbs this morning.
Looks awesome, Nurse Ned!

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered pumps, skimmer, lock line parts, bulkheads, salt for 400 gallons and a second light today.
yikes
I think I will title the build thread "The Ned Sea".

It's only money. Those rotten kids never call anyway.

The only big thing I have to get now will be 200 pounds of rock.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered pumps, skimmer, lock line parts, bulkheads, salt for 400 gallons and a second light today.
yikes
I think I will title the build thread "The Ned Sea".

It's only money. Those rotten kids never call anyway.

The only big thing I have to get now will be 200 pounds of rock.
Lol, every bit of it.

I'm always telling dad to spend it all so we will have nothing to fight over. ;-)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, every bit of it.

I'm always telling dad to spend it all so we will have nothing to fight over. ;-)

My mom and dad had big plans. Property, breeding bearded collies, Dad wanted sheep and to do heading trials with the dogs. They both had excellent health and lived into their late 80s. At 80 dad was still working full time. When he started to go down he was still on his employers insurance. When he passed they paid mom his vacation time.
Jill's mom and dad wanted a farm and he is a skilled carpenter that could build houses to furniture. They are pushing 90 now. He retired from Ohio electric power at 62. She has Alzheimers and doesn't know who he is anymore after being married for more than 50 years.

None of them ever did anything.
I already posted about my issues. I was told I was going to die. I thought I was going to die. I could feel it happening. I made peace with it. It does things to your family. They move away from you emotionally.

It appears that has been cancelled.

My new plan.
He who dies with the most toys wins and play with the dog every day.
He is a great dog and the fish tank is being built.

Jill wanted a puppy so she got one. We have both worked hard for a long time. She gets what she wants. I thought a German Shepherd would protect her if I wasn't around.
But he picked me so I got a dog and I am still around. He is my ever present best friend who goes where I go.
He is right there now.
2019032622434288-IMG_0874-X2.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An honest appraisal of my tank under the bright light is that brown gook was clinging to everything. So I spent some time cleaning stuff.
I emptied the skimmer yesterday after my water change and it is half full again. I also put up the diatom filter for several hours and sucked out the sump.
The gook blow off easily but comes back.
2019_03_29_0028-L.jpg

2019_03_29_0036-XL.jpg

Here is my flow now. Yesterday I set the gyres both to random mode 90%. I am starting to think they are too small for this tank. These are XF230s

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff is shedding like it should but the flow isn't enough to remove it. So I put an MP-10 and a PP-8 in there running full blast in pulse mode.
Gyre pumps are great. By there nature they give you a lot off flow across the top and bottom. My sand is clean even in the corners. I never fool with it.

but

I have a giant dead spot right in the middle of the tank. I can reprogram the pumps in random modes to create turbulence and that works but it just dosent seem to have enough velocity even at 100%. So I turned them down to 60% and I put the 2 additional pumps pointing right at the center from each end. Huge amounts of stuff
are coming off of the Blue Ridge coral. It had gone brown on me.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have broken my own rules. I put a mesh filter sock in my system. The flow managed to dislodge the brown goo but it just floated around until it stuck on something else.
I made a filter sock holder out of coat hanger wire. Old people can fix anything with a little coat hanger wire and some tape.

These days you have to be old to have a metal coat hanger.

This is what it looks like this morning under the T-5 lights. I have 2 420nm, 1 460nm and an aquablue special in the fixture
2019_04_02_0044-X4.jpg

Time to get the fish food.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats quite a bit of flow. How do you like the Gyre's I an thinking about trying one

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats quite a bit of flow. How do you like the Gyre's I an thinking about trying one
I turned that down a bit and added the filter sock. Still experimenting.

I own 4 now. I bought 2 XF350s for the new tank. I like them that well. Mine have been quiet with zero problems. I have found if you run them in alternating gyre mode which reverses the impellers they stay clean inside and you dont have to mess with them much.
It's not enough for an 8 foot tank though and I haven't picked what else I am going to use yet.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I think I will look into one

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff in the cracks. Happens when you have moved the tank.
2019_04_02_0049-X2.jpg

Hanging out
2019_04_02_0045-XL.jpg

Wont you take me to tunicate town oh wont you take me to tunicate town.
Could be a R2R hit.
2019_04_02_0050-XL.jpg

Love the jam! :D

The tunicates are my favorite thing in my reef tank.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The experiment is over. I put the Photon V2 back on this tank and added the MH to the pile of stuff waiting on the new tank. I have 2 now. I could open a tanning salon I guess.
It was too hard doing anything with 1 inch between the tank and the light. I poured the LRS down the glass this morning. What a mess. Put your glasses on Ned.
The LEDs look so dim now.

Still haven't decided if this tank will stay up once the new one comes. It may become a QT. It may become a freshwater. It may become the sump. So many options. I haven't had a FW tank in a long time.
When you upgrade it looks huge. Now it seems tiny.
I need to get back to work on the fish room. Jill being out of commision for 7-9 weeks has set me back a bit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back