WWC 4 MONTH CYCLE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping this alive. saw brs live cast was informative i have been reefing for 18yrs but same tank with fiji live rock. new build reefer 450 i thought "i got this" get N cycle complete in rubbermaid, throw a handful of chaeto in my big fuge, set h380 to reverse light cycle. add the fish and a month later sps go!

nope. chaeto melting away three times. sea lettuce melted. gha choking everything in fuge.
not as easy as i had planned. for now living in fowlr world. and running DT in blackout or moonlights only.
toying with the idea of 90% w.c.; clean out triton sump completely, cut h380, start gfo/carbon reactor.

but according to that live update now thinking i should just crank up dt lights, and just roll with it.

OP
OP
P

Peter Petronis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping this alive. saw brs live cast was informative i have been reefing for 18yrs but same tank with fiji live rock. new build reefer 450 i thought "i got this" get N cycle complete in rubbermaid, throw a handful of chaeto in my big fuge, set h380 to reverse light cycle. add the fish and a month later sps go!

nope. chaeto melting away three times. sea lettuce melted. gha choking everything in fuge.
not as easy as i had planned. for now living in fowlr world. and running DT in blackout or moonlights only.
toying with the idea of 90% w.c.; clean out triton sump completely, cut h380, start gfo/carbon reactor.

but according to that live update now thinking i should just crank up dt lights, and just roll with it.

I believe that happen to BRS durng the ULM series and they concluded that the sudden intensity of the light was too much, so they recommended to "acclimate" your cheato. They also recommend waiting a couple of months to start the refugium. I am currently 2 weeks into the 4 month cycle. Hope this was helpful, good luck

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda what i thought. but they just released a new pretty indepth video on their #askbrs that kind of flies in the face of that and that they are following WWC. crank the lights, let the ugly come and go.

i cant figure out how to link the vid
97cee59d0dac19c05c04f2445ede6eac.jpg

OP
OP
P

Peter Petronis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda what i thought. but they just released a new pretty indepth video on their #askbrs that kind of flies in the face of that and that they are following WWC. crank the lights, let the ugly come and go.

i cant figure out how to link the vid
97cee59d0dac19c05c04f2445ede6eac.jpg
I think they mean the DT lights, I do not think they even started the fuge yet

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW - I still believe in 4 month curing cycle. I kept my rock in a bin, and dosed twice per week with ammonia for 4-5 months. I added the rock and uncured sand to the display. Applied full lighting cycle straight away, and ~ 1 fish per week, and have had zero "ugly phase".

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to set up a tank next weekend following this approach and will transfer rocks that have been curing for months. Hoping for the same here.

@naterealbig how long did it take for you to add coral?

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peter: agreed... i just thought if finished N cycle, and then got fuge running early and full blast i would avoid ugly phase.

to all:
yeah well i didnt really have that choice. did rubbermaid ammonia for a month. i could not do a pure flnew build. last tank was 18 yo and had a full complement of fish and shrimp. last tank got INFESTED with vermetids. p.s. Be super anal about these things battled for 3 years finally jist gave up. so they toppled an 18yo reef. wife only approved new tank/rock if all of the fish could come over.

although i am a STRONG proponet of HEAVY in HEAVY out. however kept tank in very low light situation and fuge running all night. i basically have some chaeto/algae scrubber
78dd9b502999568287445f9b8a6ca8d9.jpg
6e4f43357b866719915822f0680be49e.jpg

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About to set up a tank next weekend following this approach and will transfer rocks that have been curing for months. Hoping for the same here.

@naterealbig how long did it take for you to add coral?

Hey @mfollen,

Lol, I still haven't added coral yet. :) I have another couple fish I want to add, and am shooting for small changes and stability above all else, and large changes in bio load is the biggest contributing factor to instability in a new reef.

Once I add the last couple fish, Coraline growth will be my que to start adding some test corals.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
peter: agreed... i just thought if finished N cycle, and then got fuge running early and full blast i would avoid ugly phase.

to all:
yeah well i didnt really have that choice. did rubbermaid ammonia for a month. i could not do a pure flnew build. last tank was 18 yo and had a full complement of fish and shrimp. last tank got INFESTED with vermetids. p.s. Be super anal about these things battled for 3 years finally jist gave up. so they toppled an 18yo reef. wife only approved new tank/rock if all of the fish could come over.

although i am a STRONG proponet of HEAVY in HEAVY out. however kept tank in very low light situation and fuge running all night. i basically have some chaeto/algae scrubber
78dd9b502999568287445f9b8a6ca8d9.jpg
6e4f43357b866719915822f0680be49e.jpg

Yup, things can't always be done in an ideal manner - circumstances sometimes just don't allow it. I'm lucky in many ways that were advantageous to a meticulous setup.....

Lol at the Vermetids ..... Got a few on the original live rock I used for seeding, and every time I fed and clean, I'm hovering over the tank like a hawk, armed with super glue. I know how impactful these animals can be. Some folks can live with them - I am OCD on full eradication of any pest. Part of the reason I am quarantining every new fish, invert, and coral that's going in my system.....

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i found the correct link to the new video. long but honest and informative

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While videos are great, I honestly wish they had a written guide to use for this 4 month cycle. To include steps, ideal levels, and what order to do things in.

Back