WWC hitchhiker

  • Thread starter Thread starter tzabor10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tzabor10

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2023
Messages
2,957
Reaction score
3,138
Location
Syracuse
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this little guy on a frag if WWC Money Shot Montipora. @WWC
Any ideas?
IMG_2188.jpeg
IMG_2187.jpeg
 
It looks like a Brittle Star. Good to have if it is.
 
It is 100% a sea spider. They eat anemones, including mushroom polyps. I've had some come in from the Orlando stores too.

Seachem Reef Dip (iodine) killed them for me. Also watch out for nudibranchs on WWC zoanthids. I got an infected frag from their $5-10 bins. Iodine didn't touch the nudibranch eggs, but hydrogen peroxide sure did.

Dip every coral you buy, especially from a store with high product turnover.

The sea star is an Asterina star. They get mixed reviews. I personally don't mind them unless their population gets out of control.

If the guy in the last photo is like a snail with a flat shell (kind of like a tiny abalone) that's a stomatella snail. They are great! They breed in the aquarium, which feeds corals in the process. They also come out at night, and their small profile means they don't do any bulldozing. I wish I still had my colony.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new