x2_uranium's free craigslist rimless sps dominated tank

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snapseed.jpg
I have been meaning to chronicle my corals and new tank as it progresses with its evolution. I'm going to run down my setup and take some pics hopefully today or tomorrow. First off this is my third reef tank.
Got out of the hobby a few years back to take care of my children now they are a little bit older and I'm not holding babies all the time.
Had and itch to get back into reefing again and was checking out Craigslist on a random day for For reef tanks ..................

and so the addiction took ahold of me.....yet again!!!

This tank so far is 10 months old since the inception only have had sps in here since Jan 1 2018.
Started tank with 20 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of dry reef rock.
On a side note I think that this will be the last time I use dry rock for a startup. I feel as though it took the tank way longer to mature than with live rock.
That being said
I run the cheapest equipment possible with no temp controller kalk for ato and 2 part on a jaebo 4 channel pump for the rest of the supplements.

Also run a matrix media diy reactor from Donovan's (R.I.P.) thread here on r2r

120 gallon rimless 1" bottom eurobracd that I picked up for

FREE

T5 8 bulb amazon grow light with reflectors
Retrofitted with 2 icecap t5 overdrive ballasts with reefbrites

I feed ridiculously heavy frozen only never flake.
I also just setup a new frag tank with radions coming tomorrow that I plan on sharing as well as that progresses.
I'm torn between ats or a skimmer for that system that I just ordered radion xr15 pros over.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my favorite price. Need to save the money with all these high end prices lol. Running the electric to the frag tank today and radions arrive tomorrow.
48 x 24 x 12
Deep blue rimless 60g I probably will supplement with t5 blue pluses.

IMG_1132.JPG

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reverse osmosis is hooked up to a large pressure tank that I basically run when I do water changes and top off lines ran over to containers I also use a huge tank of di resin everything runs through

image.jpg

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkins 44" from the lights on the bottom another fast coral.
Few others
Golden basket full spectrum completely purple under radions but t5/ it's incredibly pink
Gregs bubblegum prostra one of the brightest hot pinks I have ever encountered.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow free tank!!! Nice looks amazing

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snapseed.jpg
I have been meaning to chronicle my corals and new tank as it progresses with its evolution. I'm going to run down my setup and take some pics hopefully today or tomorrow. First off this is my third reef tank.
Got out of the hobby a few years back to take care of my children now they are a little bit older and I'm not holding babies all the time.
Had and itch to get back into reefing again and was checking out Craigslist on a random day for For reef tanks ..................

and so the addiction took ahold of me.....yet again!!!

This tank so far is 10 months old since the inception only have had sps in here since Jan 1 2018.
Started tank with 20 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of dry reef rock.
On a side note I think that this will be the last time I use dry rock for a startup. I feel as though it took the tank way longer to mature than with live rock.
That being said
I run the cheapest equipment possible with no temp controller kalk for ato and 2 part on a jaebo 4 channel pump for the rest of the supplements.

Also run a matrix media diy reactor from Donovan's (R.I.P.) thread here on r2r

120 gallon rimless 1" bottom eurobracd that I picked up for

FREE

T5 8 bulb amazon grow light with reflectors
Retrofitted with 2 icecap t5 overdrive ballasts with reefbrites

I feed ridiculously heavy frozen only never flake.
I also just setup a new frag tank with radions coming tomorrow that I plan on sharing as well as that progresses.
I'm torn between ats or a skimmer for that system that I just ordered radion xr15 pros over.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

What t5 fixture did you go with? And what are the actual dimensions?
I was planning on getting the 8 bulb agrobrite but it seem to wide for my 48x24 tank. So I'm think on getting the 6 bulb one insead

Thank you

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's as wide as the tank with the reefbrites on it it's not even branded lol I remember it being the cheapest one possible with reflectors

image.jpg

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's as wide as the tank with the reefbrites on it it's not even branded lol I remember it being the cheapest one possible with reflectors

image.jpg

Nice and it's ul listed!!! Petty good
I was afraid I would have like a whole bulb hanging out of the tank.
I'm probably going with the 6 bulb and two reefbrites.

Nice set up you got going on!

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Here we go. Just setup the radions that arrived earlier first off what a pain in the rear to get them setup literally took me and hour and having to restart my laptop. I refuse to buy the reef link and get my $100 lol.
Anyways. The instructions should tell you to restart it if the setup wizard is not connecting to the radions.

I have one at 14" from the water and the other is 16"

Running coral lab ab+ 57% intensity

IMG_1136.JPG

OP
OP
X

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dtfnemo remember. Their stock ballasts are terrible. I'm not using them. Since I also using two ballasts and if your using the same size length tank you will have to use two ballasts as well. Gives you the option to ramp the lights. I run 1 hour of 4 bulbs then 6 hours 8 bulbs then 1 more hour 4 bulbs only

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dtfnemo remember. Their stock ballasts are terrible. I'm not using them. Since I also using two ballasts and if your using the same size length tank you will have to use two ballasts as well. Gives you the option to ramp the lights. I run 1 hour of 4 bulbs then 6 hours 8 bulbs then 1 more hour 4 bulbs only

Very good point, I honestly was just planning on using the original ballast, I saw planty of people running the agribrite fixture with the stock ballas so I figure it will be ok. I'm going to do more research... how hard was changing the ballas if you don't mind me asking

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back