Just got some Xenia coral 3 days ago some of them are wilting and not pulsing
any suggestions are appreciated

Reef_LA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much water movement will prevent the polyps from opening and will make it harder for you to notice the rhythmic pulsing

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Give us some more info and I’m sure we can help. How old is the tank? What are your full water parameters? What light are you using?
Tank is 6 months old
Reef breeders 120 watt led
55 gallon tank with 2 clown fish
I have only tested ammonia nitrite and nitrates are at 0
I'm new to saltwater
skimmer is working good
Temperature 78 degrees F
1.026 salt

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good time to get yourself phosphate, alkalinity and calcium test kits. You’ll need them sooner than later. Odds are the corals are just annoyed with where they are situated. I tend to start corals on the sand and slowly move them into higher light and higher flow. When they look happy I might try moving until they get mad and then find the middle point.

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good time to get yourself phosphate, alkalinity and calcium test kits. You’ll need them sooner than later. Odds are the corals are just annoyed with where they are situated. I tend to start corals on the sand and slowly move them into higher light and higher flow. When they look happy I might try moving until they get mad and then find the middle point.
Thank You I'll try that

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and Xenia loves Nitrates and phosphates. I had a 158 gallon that was full of the stuff and if I ran the skimmer the xenia would not pulse. So my skimmer stayed off most of the time.
158 5-28-2008 (2).JPG

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and Xenia loves Nitrates and phosphates. I had a 158 gallon that was full of the stuff and if I ran the skimmer the xenia would not pulse. So my skimmer stayed off most of the time.
158 5-28-2008 (2).JPG
They pulse just not looking good
Thank You

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reduce water current and reduce water changes. Mine went from a baseball size to a garden !!

U

User1

View Badges
Some good advice here as always. My Xenia actually declined after I upgraded my 40 breeder to the current 210 which I found odd. I believe a lot of it had to so what others have said about water quality. At one point I got phosphates and nitrates to almost zero then backed off. Over the last couple of months I've taking two LED's offline while adjusting remaining spectrum on the others and things are starting to turn around. Now it is growing like it used to whereas I have to remove it here and there to keep it in check.

It really is a good early warning coral to have similar to the Kenya Tree. The key is going to balance the nutrients so the corals that want it get it while the nuisance algae like diatoms or green hair algae don't. Hang in there and you will be fine.

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
158 5-28-2008 (2).JPG
Thank You

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You

OP
OP
R

roger bustin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back