Xenia, gsp, and Kenya tree doing poorly- what am I doing wrong?

ling313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater. Mytank finished cycling about a month ago. I have 2 clowns about 1-1.5 inches long.
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.026 (drifted up from 1.025 last week even with top offs)
Temp 79.3
7500k led lights blue and white
I do weekly water changes of 2 gal.
I was gifted 3 frags almost 2 was ago- a Pom Pom Xenia, a gsp, and a Kenya tree. The Xenia seemed to like the tank initially but the base broke free from the frag. I tried to glue it and it broke off again. I tried to rubber band it and it broke again so I put it in a cup with small rocks in hopes it would attach itself. That was a few days ago, and now it’s all dead except maybe 1 head.
The gsp opened a few days after I got it. Was looking good for about a week and now for the past few days it has been closed.
The Kenya tree never opened. The “fingers” retract when I move it around the tank but will go back to extended but never opens.
I dosed them with seachem reef complete, carbonate, and plus twice- 1 week ago and now. I didn’t do twice weekly because I don’t have the testing kits yet (stuck in mail) and didn’t want to overdose.
What can I do? I don’t want to lose my corals.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate levels, feeding habits. These soft corals like water with higher nutrition. Nitrates 3-10ppm is a good start. For phosphates if your feeding light should be about .03-.1ppm use a hanna ulr phosphate checker or there ulr phosphorous checker.

I dosed them with seachem reef complete, carbonate, and plus twice- 1 week ago and now.
These are soft corals and dont use these elements up like hard corals do. This is calcium and alkalinity that you are dosing. What are your current levels? Don't dose anything that your not measuring. Alk should be around 7-10 dog ca around 420ppm and magnesium around 1350.

OP
OP
L

ling313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the clowns a tiny pinch of Thera+ pellets 2x/day. I’m waiting for my order with the testing kits to measure these parameters.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels may be high if your dosing without measuring you may want to do some small water changes while waiting for test kits.
The saying goes don't dose any elements that you can't test for. If your not testing for it how do you know how much you need to add, or even if you need to add. Your tank is quite new at 1 month, and probably shouldn't need these for a while. At least until you get some hard corals, or snails and coraline algea growth.

Back