XR15 worth it?

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to get a gently used XR15 for 250. This would replace the China box I am currently using over my 24 nano. Or I also have to chance to grab a new gen 3 XR30 for 550... What are your thoughts

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you wanting to replace?
I've seen all the major brands on tanks in person from people in my reef club. I've even seen side by sides of Chinese black box next to kessil, radions, and maxspect. I'll just say from a visual perspective black box are just as good or better. They don't have as many features, but as far as light that grows coral with PAR to spare, keep what you've got.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to get a gently used XR15 for 250. This would replace the China box I am currently using over my 24 nano. Or I also have to chance to grab a new gen 3 XR30 for 550... What are your thoughts

Wouldn't that be replacing 160 watts with 50 watts? That's a big difference, but if that'll work for your tank (and presuming you must have a good reason to change), then go for it.

But be mindful of that transition for any established corals you have! Get and use a [HASHTAG]#lux[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#meter[/HASHTAG] before and after so you have results to compare. You want the new and old fixtures to match as close as you can in that case - don't go by your eyeballs!!!

(I have to think the XR30 would be a waste of overkill for your tank size.)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO it would be a nice upgrade.
For me the added software the Radions have is worth the price.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with one of the radions, the xr15 would work fine, if u have the funds go with the xr30, I'd rather have a lot of light and turn it down, and your lights not working so hard, Also when your corals grow in you will has a less shadowing effect. Just my opinion tho.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are you currently using?
The assumption is radions are better because of software, it IS cool, and you'll have less shadowing (IDK about that).

If you forget the cool software, controlling with your phone, and program stuff, and compared the light side by side, not knowing which was which I really suspect you could not tell the difference ( assuming the black box is "full spectrum")!

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying u will have less shadowing on that size tank because you will have two clusters of LEDs over your tank with the xr30 rather than one with the Xr15.
I have had the xr15 and a Chinese box led and the xr15 wins everytime no questions asked.
This is all opinion though. If u got the money go for it.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@aabjones888, Radions are supreme overall, no argument!

However, depending on the black box the OP is using it may not be worth price. The black box I just got in December is better than the 400 watt MH I was using as far as color and growth.

OP
OP
Ds04384

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone selling the light and thought it was a great deal, but I'm not having any real problems with my box. I'm getting relatively slow but consistent SPS growth and better color than I'd expect. Just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy I guess lol

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth it I have one on a cube and love it plus eventually one day your black box will stop working

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box LEDs most likely will not last as long, thankfully @trido has solved this problem for us. I know he will post soon how to replace LEDs and how to customize the colors! Still hundreds cheaper!

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on Black box the Radions should have more controllability in terms of channels to adjust. Also the UV on the Radions I've found beneficial compared to my wifi controllable Evergrows on my other tank.

BTW I have G3 Radion xr30 and 2 wifi controllable Evergrows. I prefer the Radion hands down.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until others can come up with software like the radions, they'll get my vote every time. And that's aside from the fact the hardware is awesome.

SlowMN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall they are a good unit. If you have the budget to do it and are looking for a reasonable ugrade, then I would def go for it!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back